AirPort Extreme - Extremely happy

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by overlyunderme, Oct 25, 2012.

1. overlyunderme macrumors regular

overlyunderme

I know most of the posts that are here are either questions, concerns or downright complaining but I wanted to say how happy I am after just purchasing an AirPort Extreme and AirPort Express.

I had a D-Link N300 router that I've been using for the last couple of years. It's been a good wireless router, but after moving into a new, larger house, it couldn't put out a signal strong enough to reach anywhere in the house past the office. Was about to purchase a repeater, then realized that the D-Link I had wasn't even dual-band and was on the low end of speeds. So I bit the bullet and purchased an Extreme and an Express (just in case I ran into the same problem with range).

Installation was such a breeze, especially with AirPort Utility. The Extreme's range was much improved, but still couldn't get a signal to the bedroom or other areas of the house. But it did reach far enough to send a good signal to the Living Room, where I installed the Express as an extender. Again, installation was so easy and within minutes I was able to get all of my idevices running on the new network at speeds I hadn't seen before in the new house. Even got the printer set up so that my wife can print from her MBA.

Loving the new setup and the wife likes that it's simple to use and she can see when the internet is down or if there's a problem with the base stations when I'm not home using AirPort Utility.

Bottom line is - It just works.

:)

2. Benz63amg macrumors 68000

Benz63amg

what Radio mode did u select in airport utility?

the options are:
    1. a/n + b/g/n (automatic mode)
    2. a/n + b/g
    3. a + b/g

also, what channel did you choose for 2.4ghz mode and what channel did you choose for 5ghz mode?

3. Richdmoore macrumors 65816

Richdmoore

They are expensive but outstanding routers. Everyone I know with netgear or linksys tend to have to pull the power and reset it every few weeks, while I have never had to unplug the apple router in the last couple of years I have owned it.

I think the only times the router has been down was when I was repositioning the power cables, or for updating the firmware.

4. DaveTheRave macrumors 6502a

There are many more options if you hold down the option key while clicking in the menu.

5. Benz63amg macrumors 68000

Benz63amg

Which mode you recommend to use?

and also , which is the Most powerful 5GHz channel to use for the most range? 149 or 161?

6. overlyunderme thread starter macrumors regular

overlyunderme

You know, I didn't even mess with any settings yet. It's been working so well that I haven't bothered with it.

7. DaveTheRave macrumors 6502a

I'm using 802.11N only on the 5ghz side and b/g/n on the other band. Realistically there's almost no way an 802.11a device will use your 5ghz band. A is slower than N. but unchanged it anyway.

I use channel 161 for 5ghz and channel 1 for the 2.4ghz band. On 2.4 you should only use 1, 6, or 11. Use the one with the fewest nearby devices using the same frequency. Something like iStumbler will show what's bring used around you.

8. overlyunderme thread starter macrumors regular

overlyunderme

What's the best setting to run if all of my devices are "n" devices?

9. Sylon macrumors 68020

Sylon

Just bought one today after coming from a Netgear router. I think because I've used an Airport Express before (when I was traveling abroad), that it used the same setup with this one. Because as soon as I turned it on, the network I created with the Express several months ago was there, and all I had to do was create a password for the Extreme. Easiest router setup ever.

I just wish it came in a darker color than white.

10. Arcsylver macrumors member

I have both a previous generation extreme as well as one of the old ufo dome one I use as a wifi extension for my G4 iMac and love them.
    My entire apartment has wonderfully strong signal and with the dual bands on the newer model we have no issues with interference like we did with the old linksys.

Setup was a breeze since you can clone settings from existing routers, even non apple ones!

11. Benz63amg macrumors 68000

Benz63amg

Can u please share what RADIO Mode you use? and what channel do u use for 2.4ghz mode and 5ghz mode?

12. lexvo macrumors 65816

I also have only "N" devices. After a few days fiddling with the setup, my experience is: just leave it at auto settings as much as possible. So much easier and I always have "N" speed.

----------

This is exactly my experience, owning an Extreme and an Express for about 2 years.