Airport Extreme - Extremely Slow - Help!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by myohogirl, Jul 14, 2009.

1. myohogirl macrumors newbie

We have a desktop PC wired into an Airport Extreme and then my macbook pro wirelessly connected. We are both running at the same speed - slower than dial up! :mad:
    I had Time Warner talk me through checking the connection and everything is fine on their end. They said it the problem was airport. I called Apple and was suggested to "change channels" to an odd number instead of using "automatic" through manual set up. Tried that - just as slow. I also upgraded to 7.4.2. That didn't help.

Any ideas? Thank you!

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I assume that you also have a modem which connects to the router? Have you tried connecting the modem directly to either of your Macs to see if it connects at the full speed? Also, have you tried unplugging the router for about two minutes and then plugging it back in?

3. myohogirl thread starter macrumors newbie

Ibook, yes I did - I connected the pc directly to the router and it ran so fast I couldn't believe it. So that means it's been slow for at least a few months and just much worse this week.

4. 5DollaFootlong macrumors 6502

5DollaFootlong

restore your airport extreme to factory settings.

5. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Did you also try unplugging the AirPort Extreme? If not, that would be the next thing I would try, as well as opening Airport Utility and going to Base Station>Restore Default Settings.

6. myohogirl thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you guys. I'm going to try and restore it to factory settings. It says I'll need to set it up again. Is there something I should know to set it up again?

I mean like knowing my "ip address" or something? :)

7. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Try using the default values for now to see if that gets you up and running. If not then you can worry about changing settings :)

8. iwasmyohogirl macrumors newbie

OMG! Is mercury in retrograde or something? I had to sign up with a new name - suddenly my password stopped working here. Now I know why they make you agree to not use profanity!!!!

It seems a little better after resetting the airport at moments but then it goes back to molasses. Sometimes I click and a page pops right up but mostly it's like dial up speed. It also seems like the desk top is faster.

Thank you for your help! - myohogirl