Airport Extreme for my 2012 Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by TwistedEdge, Feb 11, 2014.

1. TwistedEdge macrumors newbie

My home internet sucks. Well at least the wireless does. I've been wanting a router for a while and was just on the cusp of purchasing the Apple Airport Extreme when I decided to check what wireless card was in my Mac. Turns out, this is what I have: 802.11n Wi-Fi wireless networking;3 IEEE 802.11a/b/g compatible

This means all the great features of 802.11ac and IEEE 802.11ac are irrelevant. Should I still purchase the Airport Extreme? Is it still worth the money? Will it still improve my wireless experience?

2. mvmanolov macrumors 6502a

maybe/maybe not: read through this: http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-basics/32175-how-fast-can-your-wi-fi-go

and this: http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-howto/24435-wirelesslanperformanceimprovementntk

and if you are ambitious, also this:http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wire...6-it-takes-a-neighborhood-to-fix-bad-wireless

Good luck mate :D

3. Black.Infinity macrumors 6502

Black.Infinity

you can go with a bit cheaper router to see it that router fulfil your need, if not go a bit higher tech router.

4. robgendreau macrumors 68030

IMHO the Extremes are overpriced for what you get vs. other routers.

And if connectivity is an issue, you perhaps want something with external antenna capability. Or get a cheap access point so that your signal is closer to where you use the laptop. You are sort of stuck with the wifi standard you have (short of a dongle or something being available) so the next best thing is to make sure you're getting the most reception out of what you've already got.

And you could always plug it in :eek:

5. phrehdd, Feb 12, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2014

phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

While I too think the AE is a bit over priced, it is still a good option.

Something to consider - if you use your laptop in one location in your home that is not the same as your router, you can do a bridged network which would entail

Router----wifi-----bridge---Ethernet--laptop

If you plan on moving your laptop all over the home the above is not your best option. The offering by another poster to look at smallnetbuilder was a good one. You can review not only routers, but also some writing on optimizing an "N" network.

Another option is to go with the above but bridge --wifi--laptop but that brings in some potential issues.

6. windowpain macrumors 6502a

To echo what others had said. I like the routers too, but they are not the cheapest (or best) available.
    They do tend to be easy to use and reliable though (from my own experience.)

Also bear in mind that you will probably be using your router for the next 5-10 years..so having wireless ac is not a bad idea, even if you don't need it now.
    It will likely become ubiquitous in the coming few years.

Why don't you try a refurbed Airport Express? Its not AC but should do the job at a reasonable price.