Airport Extreme for Online Gaming

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by iWoz, Mar 14, 2010.

1. iWoz macrumors 6502a

iWoz

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

I'm thinking about purchasing the airport extreme! I was just wondering what it's like for online gaming on the PS3? I currently have a draytek vigor router with 3 aerial ports!

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

It's a wireless router. It works just as well as any other wireless router on the market.

3. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Apple products struggle to speak wirelessly to xbox 360, I have never heard of any problems with the PS3.

Like BlueRevolution says it works much the same as any other router.

4. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

Not anymore it doesn't. It used to have a problem if you had WPA, but they patched that, works great now.

5. Makosuke macrumors 603

Neither my Wii nor PS3 have ever had the slightest problem connecting to my AEBS. I haven't done much online gaming with the PS3, but Mario Kart Wii online works fine unless my internet connection is acting up (which I doubt is the router's fault). No significant lag as far as I can tell. This is with WPA2 Personal security and MAC address filtering (as with everything else in its labyrinthine menus the PS3's MAC address is a pain to find, but it's in there).

Interesting aside: Heavy network use (not just internet downloading, which is only a fraction of the available bandwidth--a large file copy from one computer to another on the internal network) will cause the speaker in the Wii's controller to drop out. Actual control works perfectly, so either they're using a different connection for audio or it knows to prioritize control traffic. The only time I've had this issue was when copying a multi-gigabyte file from my home server to a wireless laptop--online gaming will NOT have anywhere near enough traffic to cause any issues.

6. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Sweet! I gave up with my wireless xbox adapter and connected it through my MacBook. I might change that now.