Airport Extreme for WiFi LAN streaming?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Belazor, Jan 13, 2015.

1. Belazor macrumors member

Belazor

Hi all,

I've recently (temporarily) replaced my desktop with a rMBP, and I now find myself frequently in a position where I would like to stream my content from my NAS via WiFi.

I've created this diagram of my current network setup:
    Screenshot 2015-01-13 13.59.39.png

Things to note: The "Modem" is actually a Sky UK Broadband Hub, which has 4 100Mbit LAN ports and 2.4 GHz Wireless-N.

You might immediately spot the problem: In order to get from my NAS to my rMBP, the data has to travel first through the switch, then onto the router (which kills the transfer rate due to going from Gigabit to Megabit), then wirelessly to my laptop.

Effectively, I get between 5 and 6 MB/sec (40-48 mbps) when attempting to access my NAS'd content on my laptop via SMB.
    Depending on the content in question, I occasionally get stuttering or buffering issues when attempting to play my content via XBMC/Kodi.
    Directory listing for large directories stored on the NAS also takes a long time (1+ minutes in some cases).

When I had my desktop attached to the network via Ethernet, I would get 60 MB/s from the NAS, so I don't believe the HDD transfer rates on the NAS is the bottleneck at this time. However, I haven't tested this laptop on an Ethernet connection, so I don't know whether the SMB protocol implementation in Yosemite is a bottleneck or not.

I've created this diagram of my proposed setup:
    Screenshot 2015-01-13 14.01.37.png

Things to note: The PS3 and PS4 are situated right next to where the Airport Extreme would be positioned, so it would be possible to hook them up to Ethernet if I ever decide to take advantage of the DLNA functionality of those devices.

I am not too concerned with transfer rates from the internet just now, as my home broadband connection is too poor for the change in network setup to make any difference one way or the other.

My question is: Would I be able to successfully stream 1080p and/or 4k content from my NAS to my rMBP if I were to shell out the cash monies for an AE ac?

Thank you in advance :)

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Yes. Provided that the NAS is fast enough via Ethernet normally and that you get a good transmit rate between the rMBP and Extreme then it will work.

3. Belazor thread starter macrumors member

Belazor

Alrighty, next step is to test transfer rates via the Ethernet switch, then.

Thanks!

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

60 MB/s via Ethernet to the NAS is about right. Make sure that the switch is a good unmanaged model and capable of full Gigabit speeds. Also verify that you use Cat 5e or Cat 6 cables.

5. Belazor thread starter macrumors member

Belazor

It's Cat5e cables. Those were the speeds I was getting when copying files off my NAS on my Windows desktop, so in theory I should be getting the same speeds unless there's an issue with the SMB implementation or the switch/NAS has developed a fault since last I tested this a few months ago.

The switch itself is nothing special, it's just one of these little things: http://static.scan.co.uk/images/products/809799-a.jpg (a tiny white Netgear one) - I only needed something that would enable me to work with Gigabit speeds since Sky seems to be allergic to supplying Gigabit ports in their hubs :p

6. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

That switch should be fine. The Extreme will do what you want but you should use it as the router rather than in Bridge Mode.

7. Belazor thread starter macrumors member

Belazor

Unfortunately I don't believe that's currently possible. The Sky hub is a combined router/ADSL modem box, and what's more, they hide their PPoE username/password combination and (in 99% of cases) will not provide this info on request.

Sure, there are tools to extract/calculate the username/password combo, but they do frown upon people who use 3rd party modems instead of their own equipment, and it is within their right to disconnect those people from their service.

They sadly are the best option for an ISP in my current situation :(

8. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Is there an option in the Sky Hub's control panel for a DMZ (Demilitarized Zone)?