AirPort Extreme from Refurbished Store

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by njaremka, May 4, 2011.

1. njaremka macrumors 6502

Is this the latest revision of the airport extreme?
    http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC340LL/A?mco=MjEzNzE0NjA

Based on the part number compared to the "New" extreme, it appears to be the latest model.

I'm in the market to upgrade my wireless network at home, and I would like to get an Extreme. The price of the refurbished model has my attention.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Yes, but you can get a decent router for less than half the price of even a refurbished AEBS.

3. Ca$hflow macrumors 6502

Ca$hflow

I believe it is the later model. Heck of a deal if you ask me.

4. njaremka thread starter macrumors 6502

recommend me a router that will do everything the AEBS will for less? (including the simple set-up)

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

What do you mean by "simple" ? Simple to me is probably a lot different than simple to you. If you can follow instructions most router setups and configurations are not what I would consider challenging.

6. njaremka, May 4, 2011
    Last edited: May 4, 2011

njaremka thread starter macrumors 6502

i currently have an AirPort Express, and the airport setup utility in OSX is "Simple" for setup. i'm looking to upgrade to a "full size" router, but i want to retain the simplicity of the apple product.

what router would you use?

7. jljue macrumors regular

I used D-Link at home in the past and helped friends setup Netgear, Linksys/Cisco, Belkin, etc., but I'm now using the latest AEBS when my D-Link DIR-625 started heading south. The Airport system is probably one of the easiest and least intimidating setups for the average user. If typing in an IP Address from a web browser is intimidating, then the AEBS it is. If you want simple to setup and want easy to find advanced configurations, AEBS is also good for that. While the AEBS lacks some more advance features of other devices, it is aimed toward those that want something simple to setup and easy to maintain.

I thought about some of the new routers that have more advance features and are faster, but there are times when engineering and IT issues at work are so complex that I just want something simple and will work without hassle at home--that's why I started using Macs at home 2 years ago and started slowly transitioning everything else to an Apple solution as well as I need to replace computers, devices, etc.

8. njaremka thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks all. i made a lunch trip to the apple store and picked up the AEBS.