Airport Extreme G & N?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by rightlyso, Nov 16, 2008.

1. rightlyso macrumors member

Can Airport Extreme have both N and G networks running at the same time?

I'd like to take advantage of N features, but my blackberry doesn't (and never will) support N, so it would be nice if the Airport Extreme could support N & G networks without having to use two routers.

Thanks.

2. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Yes, but the N connection will be slower than on a purely N network (but probably still faster than G)

3. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I checked into that earlier today by looking at all the settings. I'm pretty sure it can't do that. I have the same issue that you do except multiplied (iPhone, Wii, two older computers with G connections).

I think the only way to do it is an ethernet cable between the AEBS and another router/wireless access point and then setting up the second one as a G network.

This is the reason I'm hoping Apple will hurry up and make the WiFi adapter in the iPhone 802.11n. I could REALLY use the extra speed of an N connection.

4. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Of course it can. Take a look at Manual Setup -> Wireless -> Radio Mode and select "802.11n (802.11b/g compatible)"

5. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

That's one network that is compatible with B, G, and N. I think he means separate networks because an N-only network is much faster.

6. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Yup this is sort of annoying. I have my network running in compatibility mode. On my 802.11N macbook pro, file copy rates are like half what they are when I set it up to be N-only. Unfortunately, there are enough iPods in the house that leaving it on compatibility mode makes the most sense. I really hope the next iPhone / iPod touches have 802.11N - i don't need the speed, but I'd love to turn the B / G off.

7. gwerhart0800 macrumors 6502

I opted for two wifi networks. I have an "N" only on 2.4Ghz for my Mac stuff using an Airport Extreme on channel 1 and a separate B/G network using a LinkSys WAP54g on channel 11. The only bummer part is that I cannot use the Apple TV remote application on my iPhones to control my Apple TV because they are on separate wireless networks. I will say that I live in a rural area where I don't have issues with interference from my neighbors networks.

8. waw74 macrumors 68030

You can fix that in settings somewhere.
    My main router is a wrt-54g running b/g and i have an express running 5ghz N. and i access my laptop which in on the N network from my iPhone all the time.

depending on which is your main router (the one directly connected to the internet)...

if it's the wap54g
    on your extreme, under internet set connection sharing to "off (bridged mode)" i'm assuming that setting is available on the extreme also, it's what i use on my express​

if it's the extreme
    look for a similar setting or have a look at dd-wrt. It's a linux based firmware to replace the one that came from linksys. it allows you a multitude more settings ​

9. SWLinPHX macrumors regular

SWLinPHX

I have a modem/wireless router combo Motorola SBG900 a/b/g network in my home. I really like having it all in one and it works great. If I connect an Airport Extreme Base Station (obviously second, after the modem/router), can I still keep the wireless running on the Motorola for my
    "G" iPod Touch (I'll be selling my iBook) and still get full "N" speed for my new MacBook Pro? I'd like to run the Pro on 5GHz "N" only. Would I still need to set the channels differently, such as 1, 6, 11?

10. waw74 macrumors 68030

Yes, you can do that. that's basically what i do, but i have an express instead of an extreme.
    you would need different ssid's, and put the extreme in "off (bridged mode)" like i said in my previous post.

on my express in 5Ghz N, the only channel option is Automatic.

11. SWLinPHX macrumors regular

SWLinPHX

Oh, the AEBS would need to be "off/bridged mode" because another modem/router precedes it? If so, it will still operate in "N" speed right? Also, would you connect the ethernet from the modem/router to the AEBS's WAN or LAN port in bridged mode?

I also have the option of disabling the router part of the modem/router and going with the AEBS solely. I'm not sure if that will reduce the speed of the MacBook Pro when I use my iPod Touch, but even so I never use them simultaneously anyway. In this case, I would keep the AEBS "on/unbridged" since although it is second, it is the only active router?

12. gwerhart0800 macrumors 6502

I currently have the Extreme in bridge mode and the WAP54g is only a bridge. The base router is a cheap linksys. They are all on the same subnet. I was assuming that the iPhone app and Apple TV use some form of broadcast packet to find each other and my router was not propagating them between the two segments of the network. I have a "better" router to replace the linksys and I might switch back to the Extreme as the house route ... I stopped using the Extreme as a router when it decided to forget all of its settings one day.