Airport Extreme Gen5 & PoE ???

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by shinerburke, Feb 22, 2012.

1. shinerburke macrumors newbie

shinerburke

Please excuse me if this has been posted before, my Search Fu is failing at the moment.

I recently lost my D-Link DWL-3200 AP die and am looking to replace it in a location where PoE is a must. I have been impressed with the speed/stability of the Airport Extreme I bought and installed at my parent's house a few months back and was thinking of buying one to replace the 3200 since it seems to work well and is more aesthetically pleasing since the location is on a wall in our game room.

Has anyone here had luck or know of a 3rd party solution for PoE and the Airport Extreme?

Thanks for you help!!

2. jackrv, Feb 22, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2012

jackrv macrumors 6502

You could invest in a small switch that provides PoE and connect it to your AEBS.

Found http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/?model=TL-SF1008P through a quick search, sells for $50-$60 on websites. Not Gigabit, but you could find one for a little bit more, I'm sure.

I've never used PoE until recently when we switched my work to VoIP phones. It is awesome. Our switches are in the $1000+ range though, but you can probably pick up a 4-8 port for $50-$100.

EDIT: Disregard - I misread that you were looking for a solution to have your AEBS power an access point, not be powered AS an Access Point. The Power Supply is internal, so PoE cannot power it.

3. beavo451 macrumors 6502

I'm going to assume since you already had a PoE powered access point, you already have a PoE injector or switch. Therefore, you just need to buy a PoE Splitter. Connect the Ethernet cable to the splitter, set the splitter to '12V', connect the splitter to the Airport.