AirPort Extreme giving really slow connection?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by sn00pie, Oct 7, 2008.

1. sn00pie macrumors 6502a

sn00pie

I was using my Macbook just fine yesterday at school, but ever since I got home and connected to my network it just hasn't been the same. My homepage of Google.ca will not load unless I refresh the page 3-4 times, and pretty much its the same thing with any other websites, if I keep refreshing the page then it will show up even then very slowly. I've tried resetting the router, and I've tried changing my network and everything.

The reason I know its the AirPort is because my Ps3 is having problems connecting to the internet too, while my desktop PC that I'm on right now which is connected to my wired router is running just fine.

My setup is like this... cable modem connecting to wired router, 1 desktop connected to router, and AirPort express is connected the wired router and I'm using it in bridge mode. I have my Macbook and PS3 connected to it wirelessly.

I never had ANY problems with it until now. It's only about 3-4 weeks old too. What should I do? I got the Future Shop extended warranty on it though...

2. davidwarren macrumors 6502a

airport utility-->wireless clients--> what rate are you getting?

3. sn00pie thread starter macrumors 6502a

sn00pie

thanks for replying. I'm getting 52-59 for my rate, I even replaced my AirPort with a new one and its still doing the same problem. The weird thing is my MB is working fine using my school wifi network, but its just at home where i'm having the problem. My PS3 is connecting just fine to the network too so its confusing me :( Apple support was no help

4. davidwarren macrumors 6502a

are you using g or n?

Try and change the wireless channel.

Is the router near interference? Like florescent lamps or cordless phone base or microwave?

5. sn00pie thread starter macrumors 6502a

sn00pie

It's beside my desktop, which has my cordless phone base on the desk and my floor lamp which is right beside it... could that be it? I'll try to move things around after work.

The part that doesn't make sense is why the PS3 gets a 90-100% connect while my Macbook is slow or the internet is non-existent... it works at school though :S

6. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

Interference could also come from your neighbors, or other external sources. I agree with davidwarren, changing the channel is worth a shot.

Have you tried surfing on your Macbook while keeping it next to the PS3?

7. junior77 macrumors regular

Do a google search for istumbler application.

This will show you nearby networks and if they overlap. However, if you live in the usa, and are using G...try to use channels 1 / 6 / or 11.

8. sn00pie thread starter macrumors 6502a

sn00pie

Ok, I downloaded iStumbler and from that it's telling me that I'm getting 60% Signal from my AirPort Express, and at times I just saw it drop down to 30%, it's not my Macbook because it works blazing fast at school... should I try a D-Link router or something?

9. junior77 macrumors regular

Were there any other nearby networks listed in iStumbler?

What kind of cordless phone do you have, 2.4GHz, 5.8GHz, or 6GHz?

And is this wireless G or N?

10. sn00pie thread starter macrumors 6502a

sn00pie

Cordless phone is 5.8Ghz, it's a AirPort EXPRESS sorry I got confused with Extreme. My PS3 says its getting 100% signal while iStumbler tells me I'm at 70%. I have the Macbook sitting beside the AirPort and the PS3.

11. junior77 macrumors regular

Please answer the question...

12. apolloer macrumors newbie

Try this . . .

'had the same problem a few weeks ago and found out that I had Trojan lurking in my browsers . . . download macscan
    http://macscan.securemac.com/

Ran it and got rid of those pesky viruses and now my connection is fast and normal once again! I've 'been a Mac user for years and never had any virus until now . . .

Try it and tell me if it does the trick . . .

cheers,
    Apollo

13. sn00pie thread starter macrumors 6502a

sn00pie

I'm trying it but I already did a clean install of Leopard this morning... :p I'm all out of ideas, I've tried changing channels and its slightly faster now, but I'm still only picking up 50% of the signal according to iStumbler... even if I'm sitting next to it.

14. davidwarren macrumors 6502a

are you using interference robustness?

edit-- I assume you are using g...
    if so, that is about the rate you should be getting. Try changing your DNS server to openDNS.
    Not sure what else to tell you, maybe move the phone base..