AirPort Extreme Guest Account Limitations

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by alksion, Sep 12, 2014.

1. alksion macrumors 68000

alksion

Is there a simple way to set restrictions on the guest account? I have looked everywhere to see and it doesn't appear it does natively.

Can someone confirm this for me?

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

You are able to configure Timed Access Control restrictions inside of the AirPort Utility.

3. interstella macrumors regular

interstella

And that seems to be about it! My old router died recently so I bought an Airport Extreme to replace it. Had I known how little user configuration is possible I'd have bought something else! There is very little control over anything.

I use satellite internet and when my children visit me I want to limit everything, not just the access time, as they'll use my 30Gb monthly allowance in no time if I can't restrict the amount of data downloaded daily or access to certain websites on the guest account.

4. Altemose, Sep 13, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2014

Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Did your old router do this? Also, I use a program called Bandwidth+ off the App Store that measures my bandwidth used. It isn't like a router management tool but it may help you monitor your usage on your Mac.

5. alksion thread starter macrumors 68000

alksion

For any MAC address that connects to the guest network?

6. apunkrockmonk macrumors 6502a

apunkrockmonk

After using Apple router hardware for years and respecting it for it's ease of use and amazing stability... I started to get frustrated by it's limits.

I personally now run a pfSense box as my router and the Airport units are just being used as dumb switches and access points.

pfSense is incredibly powerful! I recommend looking into it and considering installing it on an old PC that you may have lying around the house.

7. alksion thread starter macrumors 68000

alksion

Played around with my friends Asus N66 router. That thing has everything I'm looking for. That'll probably be my next router or a similar variant.