AirPort Extreme guest networking is MAC filtered?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by bryan85, Jul 6, 2010.

1. bryan85 macrumors regular

I just purchased a new AirPort Extreme with the guest networking feature. I loaded the config from my previous AirPort Extreme and everything seems to be working fine with the exception of the guest networking feature. When I have a guest attempting to log into the guest network, it displays the error: "connection failed". I am able to connect my iPhone(listed MAC in router) to the guest network just fine however, my "guest" laptop that has no MAC address in the router will not connect. It sounds like a MAC ACL issue. I currently have the "(default)" set to no access. Has anyone else run into this issue? I would prefer not to remove security features for convenience sake.

2. skorpien macrumors 68020

The guest network follows the MAC Address Access Control set on the Extreme. I am currently using this to discourage my neighbours from hopping onto my network (I live in an apartment). Haven't had a rogue connection since I enabled it, yet any of my friends that come over can connect after I add their MAC address to my list. Some consider it a hassle but I prefer the peace of mind.

3. bryan85 thread starter macrumors regular

Ach! That is what I figured. What a PITA! Isn't the whole ideology behind the guest network not having to configure anything, but instead just saying here is the password? :mad: Minor oversight by Apple I guess.