Airport Extreme/HDD/iTunes prep.

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ajj06830, Nov 15, 2009.

1. ajj06830 macrumors newbie

Hey,

Currently I have all of my iTunes music stored on an external hard drive. I have an AEBS on the way, and I was wondering if I'll have to do any prep in order to keep this working. I plan on plugging my external into the AEBS - will I just be able to open iTunes, and it will recognize the hard drive as if I plugged it straight into the computer and allow me to play the songs, or will it see the hard drive as separate (if that makes any sense) and require me to configure my iTunes library differently? I hope to be able to just "plug and play" with little to no alterations, since I currently have over 240 gigs of music in iTunes. Thanks for the help!

2. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

You'll have to point iTunes to the correct area which you can do through Preferences>Advanced and choose location if the drive is viewable. Should work with no headache.

3. hickster macrumors newbie

You might want to make sure your external HD is GUID Formatted. The AEBS seems to prefer this format.
    hickster

4. BJano macrumors newbie

Automatically logging on to ext. HD?

Hi,

I also use this system of an external HD via Airport Extreme, The (small) problem is, when I go away and then come back home with the Macbook, it does not automatically log back onto the external drive; I have to manually click the drive via the network. Is there a way to make it more seamless?

Thanks.

5. hickster macrumors newbie

I know what you mean. I would like to figure out how to write a script or automator action of some sort that basically says "when connected to (name of airport network), mount (attached drive)". I can have my iMac connect at login, but there is a bug which also makes the finder window open for that drive. There is a checkbox to "hide at login" but it does NOT work. :mad: This is one of those silly little things that aggravates me to no end. The "most advanced operating system in the world" can't even automatically mount network drives, seamlessly, in the background. :rolleyes:
    hickster