Airport extreme + HDTV tuner + EyeTV + Cable modem?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by one1, Jul 3, 2008.

1. one1 macrumors 65816

I just bought an EyeTV package with an HDHomerun HDTV tuner. I have my MacBook on wireless from my airport extreme base station which is connected to my cable modem.

The cable modem has one output
    The HDTV tuner has one output
    The Airport Extreme has one input and one output

Somewhere along the way here I am missing how to connect the HDHomerun to everything. IF I disconnect my cable modem and plug in the HDTV tuner to the router now I have no cable modem.

How am I supposed to do this with only one input on the router?

2. Celeron macrumors 6502a

Which Airport do you have? I thought most of them had a 3 port switch?

3. one1 thread starter macrumors 65816

I have the mushroom. Answer is that you can't do it. Only one in and one out. I had to get in the closet and grab my Dlink 4 output router. As luck has it, you can simply plug the HD tuner into one of the OUTPUTS of the Dlink and it will accept it as an input. Pretty cool.

Not cool that I had to kill off the airport base. I'm not sure what to do from here to get it back up.

The internet makes the HD signal stutter, so I want to try and run dual routers.. can that be done on my Macbook running Leo?

4. Celeron macrumors 6502a

Why not just put a switch behind the airport? Something like this:

cable modem---airport extreme---switch---hdhomerun / computers

I also have an HDHomeRun. Running HD over the wireless is going to be tricky because most streams are going to be a full 12mbps.

5. one1 thread starter macrumors 65816

Then I'd have to walk upstairs just to turn the internet off and the HD on, and vice versa later when I'm done.

ATM all I have to do is use it, nothing else. It's already ready to go. I even found my PC desktop could use the Homerunner with VLC.