Airport Extreme..... HELP!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Aliencowboy69, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Aliencowboy69 macrumors member

Ok. please be patient with me as I'm a bit of a noob, and clueless when it comes to computers.

I recently got my sky broadband installed (8th February) due to my old provider (talk talk) being useless. However when the Engineer had finished installing my telephone line and left my house I tried to set up my router, but it didn't seem to be working properly (only light to light up was the green power light, no other lights were on, flashing or otherwise).

I contacted my service provider and they told me my router was faulty and they would send a new router. 11 DAYS LATER I still didn't have a replacement router so decided to go and buy 1 from Apple.

Visited the Apple store and was told that what I needed was an Airport Extreme, and I would just set this up and wouldn't need the router sky were sending me as this done the same job + more. I got home and tried to set it up, but didn't know how to do it exactly so contacted sky who told me that my airport extreme wont work, it is very very complicated to set up and no one from sky knows how to do it and I should just wait for my replacement sky router to be sent.

So basically I would like to know

Can this be set up as a router or will I need to wait for my replacement router?
    Is it very very difficult to set up?
    Have I just wasted £140?
    If it can't be used as a router then what is its purpose?
    Im pulling my hair out here (well whats left of it)

2. simsaladimbamba

An AEBS can be used as router, I use mine for exactly that.
    I connected the AEBS to the modem and set up the internet via PPPoE in AirPort Utility > Manual Setup > Internet.
    Have you looked at the AEBS manual yet?

3. Aliencowboy69 thread starter macrumors member

modem?
    PPPoE
    I had a look at the manual, but was lost so thats when I tried contacting sky

I connected my aebs directly to my master phone socket, was this wrong??

4. ea9 macrumors regular

Step 1: Relax LOL

Step 2: Explain
    Do you have a modem from sky or is does your router have a built in modem ?

If your router is also the modem (meaning an all in one package and no other hardware provided by sky) and it really is faulty then there is nothing you can do without a modem. The airport extreme is just a router.

5. simsaladimbamba

A modem is the device to dial in to the network, thus you can have internet.
    But Sky probably provides an all-in-one device with modem and router.
    If that is the case, the AEBS is useless and you have to wait, until your Sky package arrives.

And connecting your AEBS directly to the master phone socket will not work, as the AEBS is not a modem, only a router.

6. Aliencowboy69 thread starter macrumors member

The sky router must have the modem built in as it is just 1 box.

Where will i get a modem from?
    do apple sell them?

7. simsaladimbamba

Apple does not sell a modem.

And it seems, you have to use a Sky modem.

8. Aliencowboy69 thread starter macrumors member

So. If I need to wait for my sky router/modem, then my aebs is useless to me? or is there something else it can do?

9. ea9 macrumors regular

Useless to you right now. You can't do anything without the modem. But once you have that the AEBS is a much better router then anything Sky would provide.

But yes, you could get wifi from your Sky Router/Modem. If you keep the Airport is up to you.

I really would check the config of your router. Plug it directly to your computer via ethernet and check the configurations page. Maybe a setting is off.

10. Aliencowboy69 thread starter macrumors member

Doesn't my Mac have a built in modem?

11. simsaladimbamba

If it is a G4 iBook, then yes.

Modern Macs don't have a modem. They can however be connected to a modem directly without the help of a router.