Airport Extreme Help

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by irideti, Jul 20, 2013.

1. irideti macrumors newbie

My Airport Extreme suddenly stops recognize one of the two petitions in my WD Passport 1TB earlier this today. I have two petitions in that portable HD - one for iPhoto Library and the other for Time Machine. It is the one with iPhoto Library that I'm having problem. (both are Mac OS Extended Journaled) Basically the Finder stops recognizing the petition.

I plug the drive back to my MacBook and disk utility shows no problem. Since I have a backup copy of both partitions, I reformat the HD into same two petitions, in Mac OS Extended (Journaled) , and copy everything back to the petitions. My Macbook recognize both petitions and all files just fine. However my Airport Extreme tells me the iPhoto Library petition needs repair. The petition with Time Machine is fine. The finder sees Time Machine petition but not iPhoto Library.

So just for fun of it, I reformat the HD with just one petition, no files. My Airport Extreme now tells me the disk needs repair and finder can't see the drive at all. Again my Macbook recognizes the drive when plugging in.

So what exactly went wrong? Can anyone suggestion solutions?

Airport Utility is version 6.3.1.

2. Lankyman macrumors 68000

I've had one of those drives fail on me in the last few days. The HD itself was
    Ok, it's the circuit board inside that failed. Started off by showing the same issues as you are having so beware.

3. opinio macrumors 65816

Did you format the drive in Disk Utility as Journaled (HFS+)?

You could also try running disk repair on the drive in Disk Utility. If it is developing bad blocks (drive failure) then Disk Utility could pick that up.

I use Drive Genius 3 to check for bad blocks and repair (spare) them. Otherwise your drive could be failing.