Airport Extreme Help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by scariaga, Aug 12, 2017.

1. scariaga macrumors regular

I've been having problems with my airport extreme for years now with drop outs so I thought I would see if anybody here has any advice. So internet generally works but I experience periodic drop outs. I can resolve these drop outs by one of two ways:
    - Power cycle on my airport extreme
    - connecting via ethernet straight to my airport extreme. After connection is made I can then unconnect and voila my wifi is now working

Additionally I have another router (Linksys E1200) which I purchased to see if there was a problem with the router. I've experienced similar issues with that router as well.

Any ideas as to what the problem may be?

2. Fishrrman macrumors G3

If you're having the same kind of dropouts with BOTH routers, seems to me that it's pointing towards problems with either:
    - your internet modem/residential gateway
    or
    - your internet connection itself.

Tell us about your internet provider.
    Tell us about what kind of modem/gateway you're using.

3. scariaga thread starter macrumors regular

Yea so I think you're right. If by residential gateway do you mean the device that translates the cable coaxial to the ethernet wire? So I've had the cable people come in before and replace this but I really think that is the culprit. It seems like maybe the connection changes to another port/channel and then that's what drops the connection??? For some reason the power cycle or the hardwire ethernet connection re-calibrates the system, Idk??? Below are my specs

Ethernet Switch: D-Link - DES 1008E
    Provider: Hotwire

4. Fishrrman macrumors G3

"Ethernet Switch: D-Link - DES 1008E
    Provider: Hotwire"

Isn't there some kind of modem to which the incoming signal is attached?
    Only a switch?
    Not familiar with any kind of setup like that.