Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

watsonjm

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 18, 2008
Cambridge
Right, I know this is gonna sound like a stupid question but do you have to plug an Ethernet cable into airport Extreme for it to work?

Basicly I already have wireless around my house. What I want is a device that i can connect my external HDDs to that will let me acsess them wirelessly.

I know i could do this wih a pc but that would mean leaving it on all time which I'm trying to aviod.

Will airport do this? If not can anyone suggest a device that will?

Cheers

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Does that mean you already have a wireless network, want to connect the AEBS to the same network, thus you can access the HDDs via the network?

The easiest way would be to use the AEBS as router and letting having its own network (maybe even eliminating the old wireless router) and then connecting the computers to the network the AEBS radiates.

watsonjm

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 18, 2008
Cambridge
Yeah I want the AEBS to connect to the network. My problem is where the router is connect i wouldn't be able to have my HDDs (there's 3) and it can't be moved cause of the phone line. Hence wanting to know if i can use the AEBS almost like a wireless extender with HDD connected to it.

jsm4182

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2006
Beacon, NY
An Airport Extreme can be configured to be an extension of an existing wireless network, no need for ethernet cables, it just repeats the wireless signal from the other router.

bohbot16

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2009
What you want to do is straightforward. Just set up the Airport Extreme to "Extend a wireless network", select your existing wireless network from the list of networks that the Airport Extreme can see, and type in the password for your existing wireless network.

For your hard drives - they need to be formatted as HFS (Mac) or FAT32, not NTFS.

watsonjm

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 18, 2008
Cambridge
damm forgot hdd formate issues. So the AEBS wont recognise NTFS hdd even if its being acsessed by a mac that can?

watsonjm

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 18, 2008
Cambridge
Damm, in that case AEBS wont solve my problem. Can you suggest another extender that will work withj NTFS HDDs?

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.