Airport Extreme / Home Network speeds

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by thezeke, Jul 21, 2012.

1. thezeke macrumors newbie

New user here....

Have somewhat of an issue with wireless speed on the house. I thikn I know the issue however would like your thoughts about fixing it...

Current setup is Time Warner Cable Modem connected to 1 Airport Extreme. I have about 10 devices (2 iPhones, 360, apple TV, iMAC, Mac Mini (Mini runs a file server for backs) Mac Book, iPad and a refrigerator (yes you read right - it streams music, news etc). In the kitchen I placed a airport express to bump up the wireless signal. Also, I have 5ghz turned on..

My issues is; obviously I am getting some slow connections here and there - imagine that :) ... I was wondering if I broke up the network and bought another airport extreme - would that fix the issue of my slow speed over wireless? My thoughts are to re-route network traffic into two networks.. Or is my issue just the internet connection coming in that needs to be ramped up?

2. robgendreau macrumors 68030

You can look in Airport Utility and see what device is using what bandwidth, and the quality of the signal.

Could be that even aside from total bandwidth issues you have interference. If you can't remove that interference, then you might want to isolate that device from it by having it operate on a different wifi network. Generally 5 ghz will have less interference. Something like AirRadar or iStumbler might also tell you if a nearby network is working the same frequency and channel.

And yeah, it's like pipes. If all that stuff is trying to download separate movies it's the net version of carmaggedon. Utilizing as much of that ethernet helps, but you are ultimately limited by that one pipe from the internet.