Airport Extreme, Home Sharing, U-Verse

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by soLoredd, Apr 21, 2011.

1. soLoredd macrumors 6502a

Hi all,

I just want clarification on an issue I've been having: we only have Apple laptops in the house, so using Wi-Fi is a must. My Airport Extreme is connected via ethernet to my U-Verse modem in Bridge mode. My issue stems from the fact that all my movies are on the MBP. My wife wants to be able to access the media with her MB via Home Sharing...and I thought Wake on Wireless would be perfect for this. However, I cannot for the life of me get the Airport Extreme to reliably share the internet connection from U-Verse. Wake on Wireless, of course, will only work if the AE is the DHCP server.

I've tried putting the AE in DMZ via the U-Verse modem, I've manually entered the DNS addresses for U-Verse into the AE...what ends up happening is the internet seems to get cut-off from the AE after 2 minutes or so and I'm not sure why. I just want clarification that this can't be fixed or if anyone else has some ideas on how to get this to work. My fail-safe is to just use the old G4 Mini as an iTunes Server but that means setting up more hardware, not to mention all the media is on my MBP because we take it on travels.

2. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Not sure if this fixes your specific situation, but for some reason, uverse DNS does not get along well with Mac OS. Google uverse and AE and DNS, and you'll find a few links where people use different DNS settings.

I was getting drops every few minutes, changed my DNS settings and now rock solid although I'm running my AE in bridge mode so still not sure this solves your home sharing need.