Airport Extreme - How to put External Hard Drive to sleep

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by DeFett, May 18, 2007.

1. DeFett macrumors member

DeFett

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone else has had the same problem.

I have just recently set up an Macpower M9-DX External Harddrive to the Airport Extreme (via USB) and can't seem to get the HD to sleep when I unmount it from the Desktop.

Thank in advance.

2. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Just because you unmount it from your desktop doesn't mean that the Airport Extreme releases it. I doubt you can get the drive to spin down while connected to the Airport Extreme.

3. DeFett thread starter macrumors member

DeFett

Cool, thanks.

I'll have to try and think of another way as it's a bit annoying when I shut down the computer and the EHD is still spinning around when it's not being used.

4. live4ever macrumors 6502a

This also depends on the chipset in the case. Will the drive sleep when it's attached to your Mac directly?

5. DeFett thread starter macrumors member

DeFett

When it was connected via FireWire to the com it did. Even when it was mounted on the desktop it would go into a sleep mode when it wasn't used.

It does sound like more the fans going than the disk spinning ...bit hard to tell.

This is the External HD I own http://www.macpower.com.tw/products/hdd3/m9/m9dx

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Does anyone have a drive that will sleep on the AEBS? Does the AEBS have any settings for this? Having a drive be spun up all night seems like a bad idea....

7. DeFett thread starter macrumors member

DeFett

It does seem like a bad idea.

The ExHD I have has an on/off switch at the back which I can turn off but I'd usually like it to settle down a bit before I turn it off.

Now that it's attached the AEBS I cringe everytime i turn it off when it's still unmounted and still spinning/fans going.

I'll try and see if I can get something to work and post it.

8. DeFett thread starter macrumors member

DeFett

The only real info I could find is this matter is this:

> Is there a list of external drives that are verified
    > to be able to power down when used with airport
    > extreme?

The AEBSn will NOT power down ANY USB disk connected to it. That is the expected behavior.

If a disk goes to sleep by itself, it will not be recognized again by the AEBSn until the station is power cycled or rebooted.