Airport Extreme. I hate it. Why???????

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Tadros86, Mar 1, 2008.

1. Tadros86 macrumors 6502

Tadros86

I bought an Air Port Extreme in July when I bought my Macbook Pro. And as I write this, I am losing my connection to the internet EVERY 5 MINUTES. Why? I have no clue whats wrong with this thing, it just started happening a few days ago out of the blue. Thing has been fine up until now. Has anyone experienced this? What can I do about it? Any help would be great. I have a cable modem, and no the modem is not losing connection, the airport just turns amber every few seconds and then green after a little while. So annoying when you have Xbox Live and you get disconnected every five minutes. Any help would be great.

2. Ice-Cube macrumors 6502a

Ice-Cube

Are you running on Leopard? It happened to me a few times before I tweaked the settings on my AEBS. If it is any interest to you, I changed some of the settings to:

Radio Mode: 802.11 N only (2.4ghz)
    Channel 9 or 11
    Wireless Security: WPA2 Personal

And under advanced, I switch iPv6 to Link-local only.

3. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

The amber light is an error light; go to the AirPort Utility software and see what error the basestation is reporting. Check your ethernet cable to make sure its well seated. Make sure the coax cable to your cable modem is also well connected. And if all else fails, try a new ethernet cable between your cable modem and the AirPort. Sometimes even cables go bad for no clear reason (has happened to me; one day an ethernet cable worked, next day no connection).

4. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

You should also consider someone near you may be using a cordless phone. Cordless phones operate off frequencies of 2.4 and 5Ghz and at a distance of 1000 ft or more. They will greatly affect airport performance.