Airport Extreme iMac fast/ iPad+iPhone slow

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Learjet035, Mar 6, 2011.

1. Learjet035 macrumors 6502

Any ideas why my iMac, that connects wirelessly is getting almost full speed when doing speed tests, but when I do the same on my pad and phone its pretty much unusable?

28mbps on the iMac
    .9mbps on the others

My setup is 1 AP extreme
    1 Apple TV
    2 Express

ATV is new, maybe it's causing interference or something?

Thanks for any insight

2. Learjet035 thread starter macrumors 6502

BTW I went ahead and disconnected everything except my Extreme just to try and narrow it down.
    Strangely my iMac is still full speed but both my pad and phone are crawling at .5mbps sitting right here next to me.

I've deleted all DNS servers just in case, other than that I'm lost

3. exsyv macrumors newbie

macbookpro fast iphone ipad butt-slow w/airport extreme

absolutely same issue here. have 2 acquaintances with sim setups do tests and with sim results. ipad & iphone seem to suck with airport extreme. the speedtest.net graph is highly erratic and very low speeds. 2 of us swapped routers to neatgear (me wndr3700 v.1). tests for the netgear are both where they should be. my speedtest.net graph now goes up, is fairly constant until it finishes. shows nearly my max. available speed. hope apple wakes up and fixes this.

4. GageGecko macrumors member

GageGecko

Same problem here and it's really annoying. Air Video is pixelated. Homesharing on the iPad stutters. Renders Air Play worthless.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. psxguru macrumors 6502a

What radio mode are you in?

If you've got a simultaneous dual band AEB, hold down Option and click on radio mode to get access to other radio combinations.

I use "802.11n only (5Ghz) - 802.11b/g/n" and use a different SSID for the 5Ghz band to make sure my Mac doesn't decide to join the 2.4Ghz network and compete with iphone/ps3 etc.

Avoiding crowded channels also helps (use istumbler to see what people are using around you)