Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thomasp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 18, 2004
UK
Hi,

Will the Airport Extreme antennae in the current 15" PowerBooks connect to any make of wireless base station/router, or will they only connect to an AirPort Base station?

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
It will connect to any 802.11g or 802.11b wireless router/access point as long as the manufacture followed the standards correctly. Meaning, it will work with all brand-name routers even most no-name ones.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Yeah, Airport is pretty good about compatibility -- it also supports more wireless security modes than most third-party products do (such as WPA2), adding to its compatibility.

The only limitations of which I know:

- 802.11a networks are out, obviously. I have never personally heard of anyone using one in years, but you never know

- Sometimes, there is inconsistency in the way manufacturers use passwords for WEP, in particular. Of course, they shouldn't use WEP at all, but there's still a lot of hardware floating around without WPA or WPA2 support. But WEP can treat a password as an alphanumeric string (which gets converted to a Hex key) or as the hex key directly. Sometimes, the alphanumeric strings don't work right across brands, and you have to copy in the hex string. I have never seen a network *fail* to work because of this. Just a hassle.

- Any proprietary super-high-speed standard will back down to 802.11g (these are the "108 MBPS" routers that some companies sell) -- they should always work at 802.11g (54 MBPS), but the Airport Extreme cards don't support their high-bandwidth mode. Of course, they are also not inter-company compatible, AFAIK. (That is, the ones from D-Link and Linksys don't play super-high-speed with each other either.)

thomasp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 18, 2004
UK
Thanks for the replies.

I'm having some problems setting up my PB to recognise my wireless router, but I had identical problems when I set up other wireless kit in the same room - the router has a very weak signal, and I am quite a way away from it.

aussie_geek

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
Sydney Australia
thomasp said:
Thanks for the replies.

I'm having some problems setting up my PB to recognise my wireless router, but I had identical problems when I set up other wireless kit in the same room - the router has a very weak signal, and I am quite a way away from it.

If you go closer to the router can you connect to it?

If you can I would suggest getting a utility from VersionTracker called
AP Grapher. It measures the strength of Airport signals.

As long as you are logged into your network - stay close to basestation to connect and then go for a walk to see where the signal drops.

802.11 is a funny thing - if I move my Airport Extreme 20 cm or rotate my PowerBook, I lose some signal :confused:

aussie_geek

thomasp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 18, 2004
UK
aussie_geek said:
If you go closer to the router can you connect to it?

If you can I would suggest getting a utility from VersionTracker called
AP Grapher. It measures the strength of Airport signals.

As long as you are logged into your network - stay close to basestation to connect and then go for a walk to see where the signal drops.

802.11 is a funny thing - if I move my Airport Extreme 20 cm or rotate my PowerBook, I lose some signal :confused:

aussie_geek

Thanks for the link - I'm trying it out now :)

I currently have a wireless bridge connected into a 5-port switch to get the G3, G3 iMac and now PowerBook to communicate to the wireless router, about 35m away. Where the PowerBook is currently sitting, I couldn't get the bridge to pick up any signal, so I'm really on the edge of the signal here.

Hmmm, the APGrapher is showing 0% signal strength....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.