AirPort Extreme/Internet Q's

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Apple Fan 21, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Apple Fan 21 macrumors regular

I have 2 APE's (4th and 5th Gen) and a 50 mbps connection via Comcast. I recently enabled the guest network and gave the password to my new neighbors since they will be without internet access for a week or so til Comcast makes it out there. My question is this. Is my 50 mbps divided among each devices connected or does each device get 50 mbps (or close)? Second, each APE can host up to 50 devices, since I have 2 can I theoretically host 100? No way would I ever come close, just curious

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Your 50mbps Internet connection will be shared by anybody on the network. Each user will not get their own 50mbps.

Each Extreme is limited to 50 wireless devices, so if you have two, you could run 50 on each for a total 100.

3. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Your 50Mb/s Comcast connection is shared among everyone on your network.

You could theoretically have 100 connected users if you set each AEBS as a separate network. If one is "Extending" the other network, then you still I think are limited to 50 connections but they can "roam" between the AEBS's. Not 100% sure of that as I've never had occasion or need to connect that many wireless clients.

4. Apple Fan 21 thread starter macrumors regular

I never have and probably never will have 100 clients, just curious. I am running a "Roaming Network", not just extended. At home we have a total of 8 wireless 4 wired devices. Not all are going at the same time. Our Nest and home alarm system are "always" connected, but can’t see them using too much bandwidth. My concern is if I am streaming HD video on our Apple TV (which is connected to the down stairs APE via Ethernet) and my neighbor is doing the same via WiFi would we run into issues?

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

With a slower connection, you might, but even sharing 50mbps, that still leaves you each 25mbps for HD video streaming... so you should be fine.