Airport Extreme IP Conflict Problem - Please Help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Jon-Luke, Jan 14, 2010.

1. Jon-Luke macrumors 6502

Jon-Luke

Hi - Please Help. I'm not a complete novice at mac or networking, but I cannot figure out this problem...

I'm using a Netgear Router as an ADSL Modem which is connected in "Off (Bridge Mode) to my Airport Extreme Base station. The Airport Extreme is connected via USB to a 750GB Hard Drive.

In the past the Airport Extreme has happily been providing WiFi to my MacBook Pro, My iPhone, My Girl Friend's G4 and the occasional friend's Laptop (Sometimes Mac sometimes PC).

Recently my girlfriend upgraded her laptop to the new MacBook and she now also has an iPhone and now we are getting intermittent problems.

IE: After waking a laptop of booting one up it will not connect to the network properly giving the error message: "ip conflict please change your ip setting or contact your network administrator" And then the airport icon in the menu bar will go gray with an exclamation mark and we will not be able to access the internet.

The Netgear router is set up to distribute IP addresses using DHCP with addresses ranging from ...0.2 to ...0.256 (There is also a network printer attached to the Netgear via lan cable).

Does anyone know how to fix this intermittent problem? And does anyone know why it has suddenly started happening?

2. Jon-Luke thread starter macrumors 6502

Jon-Luke

So for now I have reserved specific ip addresses for my MacBook Pro and my Girlfriend's MacBook and this seems to be working for now... But if there is a better way to correct this problem please post it here (Other people may be experiencing the same problem).