Airport Extreme is Gone

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Eduardot, Aug 20, 2014.

1. Eduardot macrumors member

After almost two years of service, my Airpot Extreme 5th generation router stopped giving me wireless signals for the network.
    So being it such a short time of usage for it to die? on me.
    I went and bougth me the asus RT-AC66W.
    Do any of you know of any incompatibilities between the mac hardware and the Asus Router?

Thank you for your answers.

Note: iMac, Ipads, Mini iPads, Iphones, Retina Macbook Pro, DVD Superdrive. I am full apple hardware. Too bad for the extreme router. But two years is too little time. I have an Asus Modem that is 4 years old at home and it works flawless.

2. FrancoisC macrumors 6502

FrancoisC

Do you have AppleCare on your mac? If you do, it covers the airport also, even if you did not buy it at the same time.

I did have the AC66 before my current Time Capsule, and it gave me nothing but trouble. It may have gotten better, because since then a lot of new firmwares version came out for it.

Nice place to get help and info for this router: http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37

3. joe-h2o macrumors 6502a

So you're writing off a whole product line because you had one go bad?

Macbook Pros fail after 2 years sometimes too - you might want to stop using those too!

In all seriousness, I've had a few airport extremes that have been solid workhorses, but there are other dual band routers that are equally good if you want to look outside Apple's hardware. The Asus should give you no problems at all.

4. FrancoisC, Aug 21, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2014

FrancoisC macrumors 6502

FrancoisC

After 3 exchange, and reading a ridiculous amount of bad reviews on newegg, yeah I'm writing off this particular router (Not the brand, just this specific model) off my list.

Anyway, as I said, there has been multiples firmware updates for it, there is a good chance it got better.