AirPort Extreme. Is it a good buy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by 66217, Jul 10, 2007.

1. 66217 Guest

I am considering buying it, but have some doubts and questions about it.

1- I currently have ADSL internet, but the wireless router I have right now is pathetic. Would I be able to use the AirPort Extreme as my new router (connect the internet cable directly to it)? Or would I need to bridge them?

2- It says it has an incredible range, but how much distance does it covers? All the walls in my house are made from concrete, not sure if this makes the signal weaker.

3- I have a Core Duo MB, so I don't have the new "n" technology, would it still be worth it? I want to be able to use it to back-up, but I don't want it to be painfully slow.

Any other recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Roco.

2. richard4339 macrumors 6502a

richard4339

It doesn't sound like you'd get much advantage from it. You're still going to have to use your older router, and you don't have any N devices, which is what it mostly will be enhancing the range for. And I've read that the USB port feature to allow the connection of external drives is fair at best.

I'd probably get a cheaper wireless G router, and save the extra money for something else.

3. macgeek77 macrumors regular

Well, unless you want ALL the features the airport extreme offers for mac users (share hard drives, apple tv, etc.) i'd go for something like a linksys router. $179 is kinda pricey. You might even be able to do some of those features (share hard drive for example) with the linksys.

4. 66217 thread starter Guest

Thanks for the advice.:)

I am going to but a new iMac (later this year to see if they update it), and I would definetely love to buy an :apple:TV (but as for now I don't have any movies in my Mac).

I would like to have my hard-drives and printers shared.

@richard4339,
    Would I still have problems if I bridge my old reuter to the AirPort Extreme?

@ macgeek77,
    How does the AirPort Extreme helps you with :apple:TV?

5. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

I don't see why you are saying he has to bridge to his old router. He should be able to just hook up the new router and configure it for his DSL and he'll be all set.

The Airport Extreme is definitely worth it. Printer sharing is such a great feature. With a regular router, you usually have to buy like a $60 print server to do it.

Additonaly the AEBS can use Airport Expresses to extend the range of your network if you really need to.

6. slu macrumors 68000

slu

It would help with an :apple:TV and a new Mac because of N - speeds.

I think if you are going to buy a new Mac in the future it may be worth it, but only if you plan to use all the features (disk sharing, printer sharing, and N-only speeds).

If you plan to have a mixed network or will only use printer sharing, I'd say go with an Airport Express. I have two AEs and I think I may get more. One is hooked up to my cable modem. These little things are great and you can stick them almost anywhere. I use them to extend the range of my network and to stream tunes around the house and they work great.