Airport Extreme Issues, speeds

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by UbuntuFu, Feb 21, 2008.

1. UbuntuFu macrumors regular

Right now I'm trying to transfer a 245MB file from my iMac and the speed is super slow!!! fluctuates from 40-50 minutes.

I have a 2.16 Macbook and an Alu iMac. Shouldn't they both be 802.11N, and the Airport Extreme base station, i have is the pre-gigabit lan.

Also sometimes the wireless network stops working, and it'll come back whenever it feels like it. the wired network would work if i plug it in. this is not just limited to my macs but my roommates PCs as well.

How do I go about getting a replacement? This thing is pissing me off.

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

3. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

Are you set in the 5GHz N spectrum? Are you connected at "N" speeds (270+MBit)? How far are you from the device?

Are you sure your Macbook and iMac are N enabled? I think those both required the enabler.

4. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

I can download a 1.3G iTunes movie in about 30 minutes (802.11n @ 2.4Hgz), so I would certainly think you should be able to transfer 245MB in less than 10 minutes...

Especially because my internet speed (6Mb) is slower than even 802.11b...

Keep in mind that if BOTH computers are on wireless, then you only get half of your bandwidth...

5. UbuntuFu thread starter macrumors regular

I was trying to transfer a 245mb file from my iMac (purchased Dec 07) to my Macbook (purchased Jun 07). on my airport extreme (Jun 07) the speeds were horrendous.

I then tried switching to 5ghz only, and it was blazing fast. I thought, great, until half an hour later I tried transferring a 700mb file and it was once again slower than molasses.

I used Stumbler and even though there's 5 or 6 other networks in my complex they are no where near my channel. I might suspect my next door neighbor since they have a cordless phone but even on 5ghz only, the speeds would be flipflopping.

Seems a lot of people have Airport Extreme issues.

6. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

The other factor is if something slower (i.e. b or g) connects, you will be limited to those speeds.

TEG

7. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

That should take 1-2 minutes if everything is running properly on N.

Perhaps interference? Did you update the base station firmware?