AirPort Extreme issues with PCs

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Nordicexpat, Dec 13, 2014.

1. Nordicexpat macrumors newbie

I have a 5th generation AirPort Extreme with Apple and Windows products using it (including a windows Nokia phone). For a few years, everything was fine: I had a router and the AirPort Extreme was in bridge mode. Recently, our housing company began to pipe Internet coverage directly into our flat, so I no longer need the router: I just connected the AirPort Extreme into the Ethernet jack. All the Apple products and the windows phone work fine: the problem is with the Windows computers. They can join the network, but cannot connect to the Internet. I was wondering whether the problem might be that I hadn't changed the AirPort Extreme from bridge mode (to be honest, I don't understand what "router mode" is. I'm afraid that I will screw something up if I start changing settings on the AirPort Extreme without knowing what I'm doing. Does anyone have any ideas?

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

What IP addresses are you getting on the clients like the Windows Phone and Apple devices.

3. Nordicexpat, Dec 13, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2014

Nordicexpat thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for answering. The IP address on my iPhone is 78.27.114.76. The router, however, is 78.27.961. Are these the numbers you mean?

(I was wrong about the windows phone, by the way. It's not connecting either)

Those were for the 5G network. When I try tje other one (the one the Windoes machine are on), I don't see any numbers, even though I can connect)

4. qcmacmini macrumors 6502

Try changing it back to router mode. You're now relying on the upstream router to assign all your devices with IP addresses. It will also give you a tiny bit of privacy on the upstream side, but obviously they can still log what you're connecting to on the internet.

5. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Those aren't traditional private IP addresses. Try setting the Extreme from Bridge Mode to DHCP & NAT.

6. Nordicexpat thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I tried that (to add to the wrinkle, the Mac stopped working). AirPoint Extreme went from green to Amber, flashed a while, and is now solid amber, and Aport Utility just says that is is updating. The odd thing is that I can connect on my wi-fi only iPad and my iPhone (and when I check which network I'm on, it is the network I associated with the AirPort Extreme. I must admit I don't understand networks, but how can I connect wifi when the base station itself isn't working?

7. Nordicexpat, Dec 13, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2014

Nordicexpat thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry for the double-post, I can't edit the previous post. I eventually just switched the AirPort Extreme to Bridge Mode again: it went green, and now i have wifi again on my Mac. However, I lost in on my iPad (but not on my iPhone). Then I went into AirPort Utility to try to configure it again, and AirPort Utility cannot find the AirPort Extreme, even though I still have wi-fi-access on the Mac (I'm writing this post on it).

As I said, I'm really baffled by networks: I understand Macs well enough, but when it comes to how networks function I'm a bit lost (and I'm still puzzled how a wi-fi only device can connect when the base station is flashing amber). Could there be an issue with the base station? Or did I make a mistake by just plugging the AirPort into the ethernet jack and using the old networks without creating a new network or join an existing one? Or is it that I'm being limited to the number of devices that can be on the network at a particular time for some reason?

8. Nordicexpat thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, as I said, I don't understand networks. I unplugged both the AirPort Express and its ethernet cable and waited about a half-hour. I then went in and changed from Bridge Mode to DHCP and NAT. This time, I was able to make the changes, and it now appears to work (for the time being, at least). At least the numbers I'm getting on the iPad and iPhone make more sense: The IP Address is 10.0.1.10 on one (and 10.0.1.5) on the other, and the Router and DNS is 10.0.1.1 on both. I checked with the Windows machine, and they appear to be working. They did work for a short time when I first set it up last week as well and then stopped working, so I don't know if this is a permanent or only temporary solution. Thanks for the suggestions about what to do.

9. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

You should have the main router, whether it is an Extreme or an Express in DHCP & NAT mode. This will make the clients work with the AirPort for DHCP rather than the upstream router, whatever it is.