Airport Extreme issues

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by erikrocks, May 17, 2012.

1. erikrocks macrumors newbie

Hi--this is my first post in a while, but I need some major help. Here's my situation:

I have a cable modem connected to an Airport Extreme as the primary router for my 2 MacBooks and an iPhone 4. I also have an Airport Express I use for AirTunes.

So, I bought a 2nd Airport Express to extend my network via ethernet. When I connected the 2nd Express, somehow it threw off the delicate balance of the Extreme and Express1. The Extreme started amber blinking, lost internet, and had to be hard reset.

After resetting the Extreme (and unplugging Express2), ONE of my MacBooks is unable to access certain websites (Facebook being one) on both Firefox and Safari, but is able to access most others. The other MacBook and the iPhone can access ALL sites. So I cleared the cache and the cookies. No dice. I then went in and added 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 to the DNS servers. No dice.

I have the Extreme connecting using DHCP and in Bridge Mode. Anyone have any ideas?

2. OmegaRed1723 macrumors 6502

OmegaRed1723

I have three Airport Extremes (connected via ethernet in a roaming network) and one Express in my home. My "main" Extreme is connected to our cable modem and is set to "Share a public IP address." The other two Extremes are set to "Bridge Mode." The Express is set to "Join a wireless network" and has the check box "Allow Ethernet clients" selected.

I think your issue is that you have your Extreme set in Bridge mode. Try switching it to "Share a public IP address." Unless your cable modem also has a router in it, you don't need to put it in bridge mode. For your purposes, you would set your Express to "Extend a wireless network" and keep the "Allow ethernet clients" box checked.

3. erikrocks thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply, but I'm a little confused. The only options under "network" are "off(bridge mode)" "DHCP only" or "DHCP and NAT." if I choose DHCP only, I hve to provide either a DHCP client ID or a MAC address--this stuff is over my head.

4. OmegaRed1723 macrumors 6502

OmegaRed1723

It sounds like you're using Airport Utility version 6.0, which has removed some of the functionality. I'm still using version 5.5.3. Anyhow, set your Extreme to DHCP with NAT. As long as your modem isn't also a router you shouldn't get any Double NAT errors.

5. erikrocks thread starter macrumors newbie

My modem isn't a router, but I did get a double NAT error.

6. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

It may not be a traditional router but it most likely is providing DHCP/NAT via its WAN port.