Airport Extreme issues

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by hotwastedsoul, Dec 4, 2014.

1. hotwastedsoul, Dec 4, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2014

hotwastedsoul macrumors newbie

I have an Airport Extreme cylinder type. My issue is when my macbook pro, iPad and iPhone are on my wireless network they are all very fast I get full internet speeds but when I turn my Pc on it is very slow painfully slow over wireless. The apple router seems to give priority to the macbook pro and other apple devices over the pc. If i turn all apple products off the pc gets the proper speeds. how do i give equal access to all computers on the network rather than the pc getting d rated all the time My upload speeds are faster than my down load speeds . the pc is my gaming pc so i need the speeds.

2. Mikael H macrumors 6502

Beside the obvious stuff about placement of the gaming PC compared to the Airport Extreme, the first thing that comes to mind is this:
    We've had similar problems with other access points where I work; some WiFi chipsets and/or (Windows) drivers simply worked badly with other gear.

If you have an electronics store with a good return policy nearby, read up on WiFi interfaces on the Internet and see which ones get good reviews. Find out what different chipsets they use. Then go to the store and buy one of them, try it and see if it solves your problem. If not, return it and swap it for another one on your shortlist, with a different chipset. Rinse and repeat.

3. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

i think we need more information

what wifi card in the pc are you using
    what channel are you using

how do u know for sure what channel the pc is on??

are you using two different SSIDs (one for 2.4 and one for 5) ??? or the same name???

Windows pcs like to connect to the strongest signal. if you do not use separate names they will connect to the 2.4 mhz channel over the 5 ghz channel, simply because it has a stronger signal.

windows pcs also can have a order of priority. you can rank them in order to which ones to connect vs other networks. i think i tried looking for such a feature in os x or iOS but i haven't found it. i haven't really been looking

i was at my brothers house and my macbook pro was constantly reconnecting to the public xfinity wifi hotspot more then his encrypted one.

another weird thing about wifi that i leaned is 5ghz channels are "indoor" channels and "outdoor" channels. the low channels like 35 are regulated by the fcc to provide lower power output. even if a wifi router brags about its power output it has to comply with reduced power at lower channels

the "outdoor" channels are between 145 to 161 or there about.

the middle range channels are "indoor / outdoor"

this is called U-NII , however it was relaxed in 2014. but maybe we need firmware updates or upgrades to our wifi gear to be able to use this new capability

i am stqnding 6' away from my time capsule 4th gen. one is 61% signal vs 58% signal for 5ghz, with only 1 network name thats enough to get windows to run to 2.4

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

In OS X, the wireless network preferences are in System Preferences --> Network --> Wi-Fi --> Advanced. Is your transmit power all the way up on your AirPort as that seems low to me?