airport extreme issues!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by boynigel, Aug 4, 2009.

1. boynigel macrumors regular

i just replaced the hd in my intel imac. on this computer, i connected via airport extreme. while setting everything up, i was prompted to select a network. i would guess that i would select "apple network ae2be9" given that i'm using apple's airport extreme? maybe not? there are other selections such as "bob's house" and so on. problem is, they all want passwords. i also keep getting the message, "airport is turned on but is not connected to a network". i originally set all this up over two years ago and have NO idea what password it wants. would it be an apple password? a password i established w/my ISP? i have no idea where to go for this info. would be nice if it had a "forgot your password" button that would at least tell me who i need to contact to get this info. it's killing me that i was able to replace my dead hd in well under an hour, yet i've been unable to connect to the internet via airport for over 24 hour now. RRRRrrrrr!! any advice out there?

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Just do a hard reset (pick the little button with a paperclip) on the Extreme and it will default it to factory settings.

3. boynigel thread starter macrumors regular

tried it but it didn't work. i'm still being prompted to choose a network and to supply a password. both of which i have no idea. when my computer starts up it immediately tells me that i need to select a "trusted network". go figure that pulling the computer apart and changing the hd was the EASY part of all this...

4. waw74 macrumors 68030

the easiest way to make sure your computer is connected to your extreme, plug an ethernet cable between the 2, might have to move one of the devices, but once it's set up, you can put everything back in it's place.

5. designgeek macrumors 65816

designgeek

If you did a hard reset by pressing the reset button until the light flashes rapidly then it will not prompt you for a password. Just open the Airport Utility and configure it from there.

6. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

are you sure it's the airport that wants the password? maybe it's the ISP?

7. boynigel thread starter macrumors regular

THAT'S what i've got to figure out. that's the downside of having a setup that's been otherwise rock-solid, problem-free for so long; one tends to forget/lose passwords and other important info!

8. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

If you think it's your ISP passwords, contact them and ask them to send your passwords. also, I'd check my keychain for saved passwords. when setting up the airport, your computer prompts you to store your passwords in keychain, so they may be there.

applications -->
    utilities -->
    keychain access -->
    passwords -->
    application -->

if you have a password for your airport saved, it will be here. double click it and the computer will prompt you for your system password, and then click "show password".

9. boynigel thread starter macrumors regular

no saved passwords as i am in this situation because i had to replace my fried hard drive. i contacted my isp and they said that there were no passwords needed and that i needed to call apple. when i go to system preferences/network, i keep getting the message, "airport is turned on but is not connected to a network". as noted in other posts, i've already tried the hard reset on the airport several times to no avail. go figure that i was able to open up my imac and change the hd in under 45 minutes, but here i am 24 HOURS later and still can't get online w/this thing via airport. i just don't get this stuff:mad:

10. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

11. boynigel thread starter macrumors regular

A1143

12. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

oh, i thought maybe you upgraded the drive, and had cloned the contents of the old drive over to the new one. my mistake. there has to be a way to completely restore your airport extreme to "like new" and reset all the passwords. I don't know how, but there must be a way!