Airport Extreme/itunes help needed

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ufbrad24, Jun 6, 2007.

1. ufbrad24 macrumors newbie

Hello everyone. I am having problems getting movies to play with my current setup. I will describe what I have and maybe somone can help me out. I have a Macbook which mainly stays downstairs. I have a home office with a Mac Mini hooked up via ethernet to a new Airport Extreme 802.11n (which is located in a closet, not next to the Mini). Plugged into the Airport I have a powered USB 2.0 Hub with two Western Digital External hard drives using the "Airdisk" feature. I have an older 100gb model which stores all photos and music and a 500gb My Book which I want to used to keep movies and tv shows I've ripped using Handbrake on.

I also have two ATVs, one in the living room and one in the master bedroom. I have them set up so that all photos will sync from iPhoto on the Mac Mini library and stream music, movies, podcasts, and tv shows from the Mac Mini library and also the Macbook library.

All of my music can be accessed by both the Macbook and Mac Mini. I can move files around, play them, delete them, do whatever over my wireless n network or via ethernet (Mac Mini). Same thing with tv shows (which I downloaded and used VisualHub to encode and add to itunes. The tv shows play flawlessly and can be edited, added to or deleted from either library.

However, I have problems doing this with movies. I am using the latest version of Handbrake with the Apple TV preset and ripping to my desktop. I can open the movies fine from there and they play, I can also drag them into Itunes and they add to the library and play. But when I transfer the files to the 500b My Book, they will no longer play back on either computer and I cannot add them to my library. But if I connect the My Book via USB 2.0 directly into the computer I can add them to my library and play them.

The problem is I have over 600 dvd's and want to keep them on External Hard drives connected to the Airport Extreme rather than on the Mini and Macbook. I also don't want to have the externals hooked directly to the computers because I want to keep the externals and Airport in the closet.

The largest file size for a ripped movie was 3 gb so I don't think that is an issue. Any ideas on why I cannot access these files unless the computer is hooked up directly to the external hard drive? Thanks for any help or suggestions.

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I think it's a file size limitation. I assume music streams OK?

3. kalisphoenix macrumors 65816

kalisphoenix

That doesn't make any sense. I'm doing much the same thing, and it works perfectly. I'm puzzled.

4. ufbrad24 thread starter macrumors newbie

I can't figure it out either. Music streams perfectly fine to both computers and the ATVs. The issue is only with movies. I rip the movies to my desktop on either computer and the files play fine. I can add them to my itunes library with no problems and they play. I then connect the My Book using USB 2.0 to either the Macbook or Mini (I rip to both) and transfer the files onto the My Book. I can also play the files directly from the My Book and can add them to my libraries that way as long as the USB is connected. However, when I disconnect the My Book from the computers and connect it to the Extreme via Airdisk, I cannot play the files or add them to my library. Quicktime says the file could not be opened if I try and play it from the My Book directly. If I try and add a file to my itunes library nothing at all happens, and if I try to play the files I've already loaded into the library (when the usb was connected) nothing happens. I have the latest version of iTunes (7.2) and Quicktime.