AirPort Extreme Keeps Disconnecting

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by sdotson, Jun 14, 2009.

1. sdotson macrumors newbie

I'm a recent PC to Mac convert ad have a few networking issues. I have an Airport Extreme and a Airport Express with a 24" Intel iMac.

I use the Extreme as a connection ot the internet and connect the iMac wirelessly to it. I have the express set up to "extend the network" and have it connected via ethernet to my DirecTV unit (for on demand movies).

Everything works OK for a period of time. After I return to the iMac after it has gone to sleep (and only sometimes) it will not connect to the internet. The one thing I do notice is the Airport indicator has changed. When things are working correctly it look like the image attached (it has a arrow that allows you to see other options). When I loose internet connection the arrow disappears.

To get internet back I have to select Turn Airport Off and On. Then everything works fines. It's as if the connection has timed out and it refreshed by turning the airport on and off.

Any suggestions? I'll be happy to post any other settings/screen shots that might help.

Attached Files:

2. ayzee macrumors 6502a

ayzee

is there many other wireless networks around you? It may be disconnecting due to interference from these. Try changing the wifi channel, as most default routers are on 6. I switched mine to 11 and stopped having these kinds of problems. If all else fails then bring it to the apple store

3. sdotson thread starter macrumors newbie

There are a few others around...the mshome on channel 11 is my old router and could be turned off...

I tried changing the channel manually but then I can never find my Airport Express in the Airport Tool after I do. What would be the correct process for changing the channel and reconnecting the express?

Attached Files:

4. sdotson thread starter macrumors newbie

I just noticed something... the express (the ...C9-11 MAC address) has a higher signal % (and is closer to the iMac physically) so I'm guessing the iMac is connecting thru it to the extreme (...8A-B7) and then the Internet.

Is there a way to get the iMac to connect directly to the extreme ONLY?

So rather than extending the network the express would connect to the extreme directly and the iMac would never see it. It might help to figure out what is going on.