Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rumti

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 11, 2009
Thanks in advance for any help...

System: I am running my Lacie 500gb (porsche design) wirelessly through an Apple Airport Extreme and accessing them on my Powerbook G4. Lacie is connected to AE through USB, and has 377gb worth of data, no partitions.

What happened: I tried to put a very small .srt file on the hard drive, but it kept giving an error message, "Cannot copy file blah blah... file name too long or contains characters unreadable" or something to that effect. After a number of attempts it FINALLY appeared to load.

Problem: Now when I access my Lacie wirelessly all file and folder icons disappear after a millisecond, but the drive info still says 377gb used. If I connect to the Lacie through USB the icons are as they should be, except the problem .srt file only appears as the name with no icon. If I click on the .srt file that one file disappears, so I can't delete it, open it, or do file repair on it.

Any suggestions?

p.s. Sorry for starting a new thread, but I couldn't find a similar question!

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
What is the filename, almost does sound like you are using an illegal character in the filename.

Especially if you try dropping them onto a variant of a MS file system...

? [ ] / \ = + < > : ; " , * | etc.

You can get in trouble with OS X since you can use some of the above in the filenames anyway and generally only chokes on couple of the above like : or / \ which generally where they are filename path components of OS 9 and OS X

Though you might still run into a 32 character limit at times with some applications.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.