Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JGruber

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 13, 2006
Today I decided to go back to using an Apple WAP, so I picked up a new Airport Exteme.

I was setting it up, everything went perfect, but I did have a question about SSIDs.

Can I use the same SSID for the 2.4ghz and 5ghz band?

I thought I read somewhere of you do this, the device when connecting will pick the band that is the fastest.

What I have on my network.
4 iPhone 6's
Latest MBA
2 First Gen Mini's
1 Mini 4
2 Apple TVs (v3)? Not the newest one that hasn't been released

jermy4

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2010
You can set them to the same SSID and your devices will automatically connect to whichever one has a stronger signal. 5GHz doesn't have the greatest range so when you are far away from the extreme you'll likely be on 2.4.

JGruber

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 13, 2006
Just played with the configuration a little bit. I clicked on the 'Wireless Options', and select the 5GHz box, give it the same name as the 2.4Ghz, and do an update, upon the WAP rebooting, I check the settings again and it looks like it's not sticking. See attached.

Screen Shot 2015-10-29 at 3.10.53 PM.png
Screen Shot 2015-10-29 at 3.11.01 PM.png

Am I doing something wrong? I checked the WiFi info, by holding down the option key, and one time it showed 802.11n, and another time 802.11ac.

The WAP is sitting directly next to me, as I don't have it in a live environment yet.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
For the same SSID, that means no need to tick that box, and the joining device will automatically choose the better network to join.

And the whole process is virtuall transparent to the user.

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
the 5ghz network name is good because it will make a client, like an apple tv or a roku, or your laptop, or whatever stay connected to 5 ghz or 2.4 no matter what, and it will not connect to the other network. they will be treated as two separate networks and it won't be able to connect to the other because it doesn't know the password

if you want the clients to be able to connect as you move around the house and switch from 2.4 to 5 and back, then don't use separate names

if you don't use separate names, then the device will prefer 2.4 , because its a stronger signal , and this will slow down file transfers and backups and streaming like from plex or itunes

JGruber

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 13, 2006
Thanks for the Reply, makes perfect sense. The AppleTV can connect to a 5ghz SSID correct?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.