AirPort Extreme location has wrong city

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jbachandouris, Jun 15, 2013.

1. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

I bought an open box AirPort Extreme from Best Buy yesterday. Because it was originally set up elsewhere, it displays the wrong city for location services. Anyway to fix that or do I have to return it for a new one?

2. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

3. jbachandouris thread starter macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

That doesn't solve it. Yesterday Apple walked me through a factory reset to erase the previous settings. It let me configure it, but didn't solve this issue.

4. Richdmoore macrumors 65816

Richdmoore

You need to let skyhook & other wifi location services about the new location of the wifi router.

Apple, google & others use known wifi network positions allow it to figure out where you are located. It you move the router, and there are not enough other correct wifi networks nearby, it may be fooled into giving the incorrect position.

By submitting the true location of the router to these service providers, they can correct the database.

Here is a link to update:

http://www.skyhookwireless.com/howitworks/submit_ap.php

5. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

Just keep it running. It will most likely get updated after a while without any intervention, unless you live in the middle of nowhere.

6. zachlegomaniac macrumors 6502a

zachlegomaniac

I'm struggling with this after a recent move. Anyone ever figure this out?

7. ross7777 macrumors member

Same issue here. Just moved and my Mac and iPad are shown at my old house in Find my iPhone. Maps app in OS X shows me located at my old house as well.

I have an Asus router.

----------

Fixed it. You have to remove the old address from yourself in the Contacts app.

8. mrobbie macrumors newbie

Same issue... Driving me up the wall!!!

I moved from Romania back to UK so anything in the house where I look for directions on maps adds 2000 miles on to the distance.

I've updated skyhook but having been here and done that update in August there is no difference.

Surely there must be a fix????

I didn't have old address in contacts so it isn't that. It must be the MAC addresses of the Time Capsule and AirPort Extreme.