Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Archduk3

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 7, 2012
So let's just make this the short version.

Have a Time Capsule, last generation (the flat one, not the tower). It used to be pretty decent but lately speeds have been dropping.

Ethernet caps at 120 down and 25 up, but ANY WiFi device will not pass 6/5 mbit down/up.

I have tried out several places in our house, and I even have an airport express as an extender. Still it does not help.

I have checked the channels and set both 2.4 and 5 to specific ones that has no other disturbance. Any other thoughts to help this?

C

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
So let's just make this the short version.

Have a Time Capsule, last generation (the flat one, not the tower). It used to be pretty decent but lately speeds have been dropping.

Ethernet caps at 120 down and 25 up, but ANY WiFi device will not pass 6/5 mbit down/up.

I have tried out several places in our house, and I even have an airport express as an extender. Still it does not help.

I have checked the channels and set both 2.4 and 5 to specific ones that has no other disturbance. Any other thoughts to help this?

C

Try doing a factory reset by unplugging it from power, inserting a paper clip into the reset hole, and holding the button as you plug it in and hold until the light flashes rapidly. Reconfigure manually and do not redeploy a settings profile.

Let me know how that works out otherwise the Extreme may be failing. Fortunately, it has a standard one year warranty as well as being covered under your Mac's, iPad's, or Apple TV's AppleCare agreement if you have one.

Archduk3

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 7, 2012
Try doing a factory reset by unplugging it from power, inserting a paper clip into the reset hole, and holding the button as you plug it in and hold until the light flashes rapidly. Reconfigure manually and do not redeploy a settings profile.

Let me know how that works out otherwise the Extreme may be failing. Fortunately, it has a standard one year warranty as well as being covered under your Mac's, iPad's, or Apple TV's AppleCare agreement if you have one.

I ended up purchasing a new airport. The fact that the station was bought in Asia made it problematic.

//C

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
If you are extending by WiFi you are effectively cutting your bandwidth for anything connected to the Express.

Extending by Ethernet won't cut your bandwidth, you'll have the same amount available at the express as you have at the extreme.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.