Airport Extreme-ly Slow

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by russell.h, Aug 15, 2007.

1. russell.h macrumors regular

I have an Airport Extreme Base Station (one of the n ones, but pre gigabit LAN, I purchased near the end of June) here which is operating extremely slowly.

It worked well up until about a week ago. Then all of a sudden web browsing became unbearably slow. To give some idea of unbearably slow it takes 19 seconds to load forums.macrumors.com, as opposed to less than 2 seconds on my desktop on the same internet connection.

I have a Linksys router connected directly to my Cable modem (we have a 5Mb/s connection), and the AEB is plugged into the Linksys. I have tried using it both in "Bridge Mode", and with NAT but it doesn't make any difference. The desktop I am typing from is plugged directly into the Linksys router as are 4 other desktops and connection speeds on these are all as good as ever. It isn't just the wireless either, plugging into the AEB results in similarly miserable speeds.

I have done both soft and hard resets on the AEB, I have tried every setting I can think of, but nothing makes any difference. It is probably worth noting that the Linksys router's configuration page (192.168.1.1) loads just as fast as ever when the AEB is in bridge mode.

Does anyone have any ideas? I really like this router, but this is simply unacceptable to me, its worse than dial up. Oh, also, large transfers don't seem to be slowed down at all, like maybe its just the initial connection. If I use scp to transfer something from my desktop via the AEB it takes it longer to connect than if I were doing it from work via the internet, but once the transfer is started it goes just like it always has.

2. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

Have you changed wireless channels to see if your speed increased? Sometimes that helps

3. russell.h thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, I've tried different channels, 2.4 and 5 GHz (except on some frequency, I forget which, it won't let me change channels manually), with and without interference robustness.

I just noticed something odd though. My (stupid PoS) ISP has my Subnet Mask set to 255.255.224.0, which seems odd to me. I'm going to try plugging my AEB directly into the cable modem to see what happens. My ISP has been having weird problems recently (a 3 day outage a few weeks ago due to a "corrupt database" - its a long story, but I happen to know thats ********), and I'm rather inclined to think this is their fault, at least partly.

4. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

That is normal for a subnet. Mine is 255.255.240.0 I wouldn't worry about that.

It sounds like you are having problems with the bridge you have going. Can I ask why you have a Linksys and the AEBS? Seems a little redundant.

To troubleshoot, cut out the Linksys and see what happens.

5. russell.h thread starter macrumors regular

2 reasons:

1. I bought the AEBS to take to college with me, but a router is still needed here.

2. We have 7 networked devices so far, and the AEBS only has 3 ethernet ports.

6. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

Bouncing a switch off the AEBS would be a good solution. Even a gigabit one to get some speed on the network.

7. russell.h thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, but I want to leave the main network in place so that when I leave in a few weeks here I have to do as little as possible to pack up and leave the place in working order.

Anyway, I used a hub to connect the AEBS and the Linksys both directly to the cable modem. That gave me all sorts of trouble trying to use NAT on the AEBS, but when I switched it to bridge mode all my problems evaporated. I wouldn't leave a windows box hooked up like this without a serious firewall, but I guess this will be fine. The only thing I ever need a connection to the rest of the network for is ssh and I already have that set up for WAN access, so I think I'm good to go.

I'm still vaguely curious as to what the problem was, but not curious enough to actually try to figure it out...