Airport Extreme+Mac+PCs+stuff

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by dannewell15, Aug 19, 2007.

1. dannewell15 macrumors regular

Hey everyone! I have a question about networking. Woud it be possible for me to get an Airport extreme base station and connect a USB hub to it and then connect 2 printers, a scanner, and a external hard drive? I would want all of the devices to be able to be used wirelessly on my Mum and Sisters PCs and my Mac.

Ta! :)

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Hub, yes. Multiple printers, yes. Drives + printer, yes. Scanner, no.

3. dannewell15 thread starter macrumors regular

so if I get a 4 port USB hub I can connect it to the base station and connect the two printers and a HDD? And the printers and HDD will be acessible by both PCs and Macs? Will PCs and Macs both be able to read and write? can someone confirm this please?

(nothing personal, I just want to be sure before I buy) :)

4. jsnipper macrumors newbie

I've got a printer and a USB hard drive on mine. printer works fine on both mac and PC, drive only works on mac and it is REALLY slow even though mac is directly connected using Gigabit Ethernet. PC just gets an error trying to connect to the drive. Others have posted it could be a firmware issue. I'm running the latest which is 7.2 and having the issues. Might try to downgrade to 7.1.1.

5. BamaDMD macrumors member

BamaDMD

Harddrive and airport extreme problems

I can't even get my hardrive to be recognized by disk utiliy. (external maxtor 300gb) :(

6. jsnipper macrumors newbie

plug the drive in directly to configure it the first time.

7. BamaDMD macrumors member

BamaDMD

I did. I formatted it with mac ox extended (journald). Is there anything else to do?

8. jsnipper macrumors newbie

Does the mac now see it when you plug it in directly? You need to start with getting the mac to see it directly, than plug it into the basestation and make sure that it shows up in the airport utility. I didn't test the mac file system and my XP machine to see if it can access it--I formatted my drive as FAT32 on the mac since I know that both systems can read that file system.

9. BamaDMD macrumors member

BamaDMD

Sorry just getting back with you. It must be the drive itself is incompatible. I tried another drive that I had and it recogized it no problem. Thanks for the input though.