Airport Extreme major network speed loss?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by hidehide, Sep 22, 2012.

1. hidehide macrumors 6502

I recently bought the current generation of Airport Extreme, as well as upgraded my internet to 250M optic fiber.
    However, I notice that there are major network speed loss when I connect the modem through the AE.

Here is the result of my testing:
    1. Lan directly from modem to my mbp = 200M
    2. Lan from modem to router to mbp = 130M
    3. Wifi (Wireless-n 5Ghz, sitting right beside the router) = 70M

So to conclude, it seems there is a 70M loss when the data goes through the router, and another 60M loss when broadcast as wifi?
    Is there any settings that I can do to improve the network speed? :confused:

2. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over my blazingly fast Internet speed....

Seriously though, I'm not sure - you probably don't have the most optimal WiFI settings, are you running on 5GHz vs 2GHz, what channel are you on, is there any interference, blah blah blah. Is the speed difference really a concern?

Attached Files:

3. hidehide thread starter macrumors 6502

Hey, nice speed dude :) So you are from Australia or from HK??

I'm running 2.4Ghz an 5Ghz Since not all my devices support wireless-n. As for the channels, I'm using automatic as I believe the AE should be capable to detect which channel has less interference.. Most high end router has this function, so does AE as well, isn't it?

Nevertheless, even connect LAN from the AE loss 70M, so it's not just the wireless interference that causes the reduced speed..

As far as is the speed difference really a concern, do you want to pay a $40 thing for $100? ;)

4. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

From Aus, live in HK.

Is that ABES the dual band one? E.g. One antenna for 2.4ghz and another for 5GHz? From the speeds you get, I daresay it's running in 5GHz compatibility mode, so it can run on 2.4GHz. That limits it to something like 150mbps right off the bat. Add in usual Wireless restrictions, and you end up with the 70mbps. For a test, I recommend you put it into 5GHz only mode and see what speeds you get.

Yes, that's true and puzzling. Maybe the port is a 100mbit only port? Depends on your model - best to check what duplex speed is being used. Also, what are you using to test the speeds?

Haha well I pay for 1000mbit, and normally only get 100mbit - so I know that feel... ;)

5. hidehide thread starter macrumors 6502

Nice, I'm living right next to you. Macau =)
    HK has one of the fastest internet in the world, I'm jealous

It's the latest AEBS with Gigabit LAN.. So it's not the port that limit my speed..
    But it's still a mystery on why there is 70M decreased in speed even when I connect with LAN..

I will try to see if I can set just 5GHz. Right now, It's broadcasting dual band..

Will get back to you later.. Time to head out for lunch..

6. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

Macau! No way! Where are you from originally? Or are you a local? By the way, my Internet is free ;)

Agreed! Not sure.... Needs more testing by the sounds of it!

Yes indeed, good idea. Let me known.

Enjoy.

7. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

According to Small Net Builder the Airport Extreme routes at over 400 Mbps, so something is amiss in your configuration. I'd check settings on both ends, your cabling, and the firmware.

Wireless speeds sound right, as even the fastest modern access points max out at about 70 Mbps.

8. waw74 macrumors 68030

alt-click the wifi indicator in your menu bar, that will give you lots of info about your connection.

you want to look at phy mode, channel and transmit rate and report those back here.

you may be better served by naming your networks different if you aren't already. so you know for sure you're connected to the one that you want to be.

9. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

He isn't going to get substantially more than 70Mbps under any conditions via wifi. SNB maxed out at 85Mbps under ideal test conditions at close proximity.

10. hidehide thread starter macrumors 6502

I am local, but I studied university in the States, and that's when I started to do research and joined this forum. I still keep going to forums from the States like this since it is more informative and more knowledgable people is offering help here. :p

[​IMG]
    Here is an update guys. I tried a cold reboot on both AEBS as well as the modem. Now I can get 200M on LAN through router.. So LAN through router speed is the same as LAN directly thru modem.

Thanks zhenya for providing the website of SNB... I guess I haven't done enough research before buying the AEBS.
    I thought the theoretical max speed for 5Ghz wireless-n is 300Mbps, so giving it a 20% loss, I thought I could still get 240M.. But in reality, it's not the case..

So is there any router that can have a faster wireless speed? Or that's the max speed for wireless-n?

11. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

Right! Explains why your English is rather good ;)

I don't think the WiFi will get any faster than the ~300mbps, glad the LAN has gone faster though.

12. hidehide thread starter macrumors 6502

The max speed of WiFi right now is only 80Mbps.. which is rather weak..
    And my modem and router is in the living room, so the only way to enjoy the full speed is to shift over from my bedroom to the living room, which isn't always viable :eek:
    Perhaps I need to get another router or wait for the wireless-ac technology to come out...

13. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Yeah, if you look at the wireless charts at Small Net Builder you'll see there is nothing substantially faster than that. If you live somewhere with neighboring access points competing with you, you'll be lucky to get half those numbers.

14. Rizzm macrumors 6502a

Those are some crazy speeds! Living in the US, those are meant to be shocking to me, right?