Airport Extreme messed up my Mini's network settings?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jimmypopjr, May 6, 2009.

1. jimmypopjr macrumors regular

EDIT: after poking around more, it' starting to look like it's a late 2008/early 2009 mac issue. Not an airport issue.

Comcast came out and installed a modem for me today. It's a normal modem modem (new docsis 3.0), which is weird that it has to be installed by a tech. Once it was 'setup' I plugged my macbook right into it. Everything worked peachy.

I then plugged the modem into my Airport Extreme and started configuring it on my mini (early 2009 model). Nothing at all would work. The mini is plugged into the airport, so this is not over wireless.

DHCP - nothing. Manual - nothing. Share public IP? Nothing. Distribute range? Nothing.

Lame. But that's not the point. When I plug directly from the modem into the mini, I get nothing. Self-assigned IP and no DNS info. I've renewed the DHCP, reset the computer, everything I could think of.

Where do I go from here? The mini was getting on my network earlier, before the new modem was installed. Now nothing.

Any help would be completely awesome. I'm super :mad: :confused: right now.

EDIT: Hmmm... I plugged my MBP (unibody) into the modem and got the same issue as my mini. My macbook is from early 2008... This is really frustrating.

2. jimmypopjr thread starter macrumors regular

Is there a known issue with comcast modems and Airport Extreme?

I've posted a related thread in the Mini forum, but wanted to check here as well. Is anyone aware of issues with comcast or comcast-issued docsis 3.0 modems and the airport extreme? I cannot get the airport to work with my new modem.

Any help would e much appreciated!

3. Cems84 macrumors newbie

So weird. Comcast just came over and I am having the same exact problem. I'm using my airport now and my iMac either gets no connection or the connection is very slow. With my Macbook and Macbook Pro, I am getting internet like I should. Just my iMac is giving me problems.

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Some of the modems key into the first MAC address they are with, and pair with that machine. Making it hard for people to simply stick a router in front of the computer and share an IP address.

Those modems need a full reset using the Service Page for the modem, you need to log into the modem 192.168.1.1 or whatever they were using and select the reset sequence using your browser.

That is if Comcast hasn't modified the modem to lock out the user who doesn't have the service password.

---

Basically read the manual for the modem you have, and see how to reset the modem. Or find out how to use the MAC Address emulation on the Airport Express (think it has that)

Edit: if you sat there and watched while the tech installed the modem, and it took 5-15 minutes of blinking lights to come on and work -- this'll happen again with a full reset.

5. jimmypopjr thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the replies so far!

I unplugged the modem and plugged it back in. After about five minutes my macbook pro pulled a valid IP and everything seems to be working. Haven't tried the mini yet.

Not too sure what's going on, now.

6. jimmypopjr thread starter macrumors regular

Ok... everything is now working, but the solution seems almost stupid.

The macbook pro and mini weren't pulling a valid router address when plugged into the modem. So I took the info from my macbook's network settings, and plugged the router's address in under 'manual' settings for the pro.

Still didn't work.

But as soon as I brought it back to DHCP it pulled all the proper info/DNS/everything, and now I'm up and running. Very odd.

EDIT - Thank you for your replies! I really do appreciate it!

7. Jozone macrumors 6502

No issues here! (At home rather).. have a relatively new Comcast Modem with a Gigabit AirportExtreme

8. Big Boss Man macrumors regular

I have an Airport Extreme working fine with a Comcast cable modem. I am not sure it is the same model as yours. To get it going I had to configure the Airport Extreme as per the manual. Then I had to power down the Comcast modem (which included removing the battery). I gave it a minute powered down and then three minutes to power up. Then I powered up the Airport Extreme and gave it about a minute to connect with the Comcast modem. Then I powered up my computers. These are the basic instructions I got from Comcast for setting up an Airport Extreme.

9. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

If you know the ethernet address of the modem, use the browser to log into the modem.

The ethernet modems and a lot of ethernet printers display web pages for modifying settings and performing maintenance.

Pulling the battery, unplugging the modem and waiting is one way. But clicking the button on the web page that says RESET is easier.

aka, read the manual. ;)