Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

slffl

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 5, 2003
Seattle, WA
I have the latest Airport Extreme and have two networks SSIDS. One for 2.4ghz and one for 5ghz.

Does anyone know if the iPad Air can still take advantage of MIMO in this configuration?

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
I have the latest Airport Extreme and have two networks SSIDS. One for 2.4ghz and one for 5ghz.

Does anyone know if the iPad Air can still take advantage of MIMO in this configuration?

You know that MIMO isn't to span two different band frequencies right?

MIMO is multiple antennas working to transmit and receive (usually a 2x2 or a 3x3). Your Airport Extreme supports upto 3x3 because it has 3 antennas. Whether you are transmitting on multiple bands has nothing to do with it.

And yes, from everything I have read the iPad Air has 2 antennas so therefore it can utilize MIMO and will do so EITHER on your 2.4ghz or 5ghz bands.

slffl

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 5, 2003
Seattle, WA
You know that MIMO isn't to span two different band frequencies right?

MIMO is multiple antennas working to transmit and receive (usually a 2x2 or a 3x3). Your Airport Extreme supports upto 3x3 because it has 3 antennas. Whether you are transmitting on multiple bands has nothing to do with it.

And yes, from everything I have read the iPad Air has 2 antennas so therefore it can utilize MIMO and will do so EITHER on your 2.4ghz or 5ghz bands.

Well I wasn't sure if the different bands needed their own antenna with this setup. Or if all 3 antennas are broadcasting both 2.4 and 5 at the same time.

priitv8

macrumors 68040
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
Looking at how the antennae are connected in a MBP, I'd say they are dual-frequency. Because MBP can do 3x3:3 on both frequencies, yet still has only 3 antenna wires, not 6.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.