Airport Extreme Mini PCI-E Card for your Mac Pro the cheap way

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by pnyc, Nov 22, 2008.

1. pnyc macrumors 6502

I decided to get an Airport Extreme Mini PCI-E WiFi Card for my 2x3.2 Quad MP and after looking around for a while found several selling online for between $49.00-$89.00 which I thought is a little high for what after some research seams to be a pretty generic part.

Unwilling to throw my money out the window I bought this part on eBay for a total of $20.00 including shipping :
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130268548488

The card arrived today 9 days after the initial purchase. The installation took about 5 minutes and the card appears to be working perfectly. I'm unable to test the N protocol as my router does not support it but the Network Utility seams to recognize the card as supporting it.

Attached Files:

• nump.jpg
      nump.jpg
      File size:
      35.7 KB
      Views:
  2. hatehereyes macrumors 6502a

hatehereyes

Did you install it where the usual airport extreme card goes or did you actually install it in one of the PCI-e slots?

3. pnyc thread starter macrumors 6502

It's a Mini PCI-E Card so it installs in the exact same place as the Apple Airport Extreme.

4. hatehereyes macrumors 6502a

hatehereyes

ah sorry i confused it with a PCI-e 1.0 card

but did you install it in a early 2008 mac pro?

5. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i have a pc desktop (non wireless) and a dead emac with the airport extreme card

is there any way to get that card to work on my pc (there are no mini-pci slots)

6. pnyc thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes it's a Mac Pro (Early 2008)

If there are no appropriate Mini-PCI slots in your PC it might be tricky getting the card to work although an adapter such as this one might work :
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230308136089

There's also the issue of finding the right drivers. You might be better off selling your Airport Extreme card and getting a cheap USB, PCI, etc. WiFi card/adapter that's compatible with ports/slots and the OS you're running.