Airport Extreme Mode of Operation

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mac_in_tosh, Jul 29, 2019.

1. mac_in_tosh macrumors 6502

mac_in_tosh

Is there a simple way to tell if my Airport Extreme Base Station (most recent model) is acting as a WiFi gateway or creating its own network?

2. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

It seems that -you- determine this, by setting it up with Airport Utility.
    Right...?

3. mac_in_tosh thread starter macrumors 6502

mac_in_tosh

I guess I determined that when I set it up years ago, but I don't know enough about these things to have intentionally chosen one or the other mode of operation. And rather than digging into the utility's options without really knowing what to look for, I am asking if there's a simple way to determine how it was set up.

4. wardie macrumors 6502

You’ll have to go into Airport Utility and check it out I think. There is a Internet part of the settings I think which has different modes including acting only as a WiFi gateway pass-through or as a full router.
    Sorry can’t remember details - mine blew up a year or two ago and as it’s s defunct product anyway I bought a couple of ASUS routers (run in a mesh) to replace an Extreme and couple of Expresses, much better tech with lots more options to configure - if you’re into that sort of thing though!

5. EricaV macrumors regular

EricaV

This is a different question and I did post it on another thread. I want to use my old airport extreme (which used to be used as it's own network) as a storage device on a new network and just disable the router. Sorry for such a dumb question, but I'm trying to figure out if I need to plug it into the new router (Netgear Nighthawk aC1750) via ethernet or USB. Probably if I can get a wired connection I can reconfigure it and figure out how to disable the router. I also don't want to lose the data i have on it right now.

Any help appreciated.

6. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Put the AirPort Extreme into Bridge Mode and that will disable NAT!