Airport Extreme Model A1521

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by rocknrotty, Dec 22, 2014.

1. rocknrotty macrumors member

Just purchased this model to replace a Airport extreme model A1408.
    Question can i use the exported settings from the A1408 to configure the A1521 or do i have to start from scratch.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I went from the previous gen. Time Capsule to the newest one and it picked up and imported all my settings just fine. So I would think the same would apply to your Airport Extreme swap.

3. rocknrotty thread starter macrumors member

I will try it i have several IP cams on this old router and it would be a pain to have to set them all up again

TKS for the quick response

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Yes. Settings are transferrable provided you use the same version of AirPort Utility (e.g. 6.x to 6.x).

5. rocknrotty thread starter macrumors member

Update

Ok i will try to run through the steps i used to make this work.
    Note this is the only way i could get all the settings including IP address to stay the same.

1) Make backup of settings on A1408. Making a note (write down) all info subnet, IP address Domain name etc..
    2) Unplug power from A1408
    3) plug in power only into the A1521
    4) find A1521 in Airport utility
    5) Run through the set up but do not plug in the ethernet in cable when it prompts you.
    6) after set up is done import the backup file onto the A1521.let that finish.
    7) Now edit the A1521 and set to static IP address then manually input the DSN, IP address etc.. u want and the domain name. Save this.
    8) after restart plug in the ethernet cable in. and you should be done.

This is the only way i could get the Airport to keep all the settings including IP address. Which is important to me as i have several IP cams hooked into this network that use the one IP address.

6. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Option 2 would have been to unplug the original Extreme and put the new one in its place with everything plugged in then plug the old one into only power nearby and migrate it fully over wireless.

7. rocknrotty thread starter macrumors member

Nope Tried that as soon as i plugged in the ethernet cable without doing all the other steps i described the router went out and got a new IP address etc..

8. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Normally it works! I have done it numerous times. Glad you got it set up though.

9. rocknrotty thread starter macrumors member

Would have made it way easier if it worked the right way but oh well. Merry Christmas all and thanks for the help

10. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Merry Christmas to you! Have a great day!