Airport Extreme & My Book Studio 1TB

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by brendanm14, Feb 2, 2009.

1. brendanm14 macrumors newbie

Instead of going the Time Capsule route I am planning on getting the Airport Extreme and a My Book Studio 1TB drive. I want to use the drive wirelessly and have it attached via USB to the Airport Extreme. My main concern is power...will the drive be ON all of the time? It states in the manual that it turns off with your computer but since it will be attached to the Airport Express I am worried it will be on all of the time.

Thoughts?

Thanks!!!

2. pyrodex macrumors 6502

pyrodex

I've tried many enclosures on my AEBS and I can say most of the time it will power down the unit if not in use. For me this is annoying but for some its what they want.

3. brendanm14 thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you have to manually turn it back on or just try to access it again? Might be a pain since it will be in a different room than the computer.

4. clockwrkz macrumors newbie

It doesn't actually power off completely, the drive stops spinning and it goes into sleep mode. Once you try accessing the drive again it will spin up and be accessible. This will cause a 3 to 5 second delay when trying to access a file once the drive has spun down.

5. brendanm14 thread starter macrumors newbie

I think I can live with that....THANKS!!!!