Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brewser

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 8, 2006
I got my Airport Extreme N a couple weeks ago and got it to work with both my Xbox 360 and the Wii.
I have it working with both my Wii and Xbox 360 but I am still confused on how this works.
Here is what I did and I will explain why I am confused:
1. The Airport setup that gets installed with the setup disk only allowed WPA encrypt. Both Xbox and Wii won't work with this.
2. I disabled encrypt through the airport setup util.
3. I then ran the airport setup assistant and enabled WEP 128 bit encrypt. using my 26 char. password.
4. Setup both xbox 360 and wii and both work great.

Now to the confusing part. Today I installed the latest update to the airport extreme and when I ran the Airport utility it show I have no security and when I tried to run the airport setup assistant the icon has disappeared. I did a spotlight search and it found the AP setup assistant on my backup drive so this latest update must delete it. I then copied it back to my utilities folder and ran it and it shows I have WEP 128 encrypt. So do I actually have security on my APE? I have WEP 128 with the password on all 3 of my mac's, Wii, & Xbox so it is obviously taking it.

So basically this should help some people to get this to work but I need to figure out if I actually have security and why did the AP setup assistant work for this?
Any thoughts?

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
I don't know if I can be of much help with whatever the heck deleted your Airport Admin utility (I'm pretty sure that's not supposed to happen--sounds like some sort of installer screwup), but I did want to add that at least for "g" wireless on the older Airport Base Stations the Wii works just peachy with WPA2 encryption--I'm running that at home.

Maybe there's some issue when you bring "n" into the mix, but at least with a g router the Wii doesn't have trouble with WPA2.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.