AirPort Extreme NAS??

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Apple Fan 21, Nov 11, 2012.

1. Apple Fan 21 macrumors regular

I use the AirPort Extreme wired to my iMac. I also use a 2 TB Seagate externall HHD contected via FW 800 to my iMac for my HD videos. The HDD also has a USB 2.0 port. Can I connect the HDD to the APE for a NAS while being connected to the iMac via FW?

2. d.steve macrumors regular

Nope. Although it has multiple host interfaces it expects a single active interface to a single host unless specifically designed otherwise. And at that point you'd just use Ethernet or wifi.

3. pdjudd macrumors 601

Drives with multiple interfaces will only use one interface at a time and only one host. And that host will (generally) be the first one it connects to.

The OP can do either or. It can't both at the same time.

4. Apple Fan 21 thread starter macrumors regular

Let me ask this then. How well does the APE perform as a NAS??

5. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

From my experience, pretty poorly. The best transfer speed I could get was around 6MB/s while being only a few feet away from it. It was way too slow for anything useful, so I just use my external hard drive connected directly to my Mac.

I have a pretty old model though. It's from 2008 or 2009, I'm not sure. It has dual-band 802.11n like the current model but they have made some minor antenna adjustments in the current model since then. I wouldn't expect stellar performance either though.