airport extreme network access from web?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by JimmyDreams, Jul 1, 2010.

1. JimmyDreams macrumors 6502

Hi everyone...

I'm not very well versed in networking or IP stuff, but maybe someone can help me.

I have an airport extreme running the wireless network in my house. I know my IP number (it changes, but I'm switching to a static #). Is there a way I can access my network over the internet through the airport extreme? I have a mini-server device running on my network that utilizes port 80 and I'm sure there's some way to read that over the internet. (if I'm using the wireless network, I use address http://10.0.1.3/webpage.html to view) Is there a way to view that address from the internet?

And lastly, if am I opening up a can of security worms if I try this?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!!

Jim

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

you will use port mapping, it's under advanced settings on the express, not sure about the extreme.

just map port 80 to 10.0.1.3, then you can can replace the internal ip with the external IP

as far as security, anyone with a web browser can see that page (although the chances of someone actually finding it aren't that great, but they can), If your device has the option to password protect, i would.

also look at no-ip.com it lets you set up a static name, so you don't have to get a static from your internet provider. so you can go to JimmyDreams.no-ip.com instead of having to remember numbers, the free service should be more than enough for you.

3. JimmyDreams thread starter macrumors 6502

THANKS!

Between your help and some more in-depth searching (with the clues you left) I have figured out what I wanted to to.

http://68.6.242.62:50000/ is a peek at an energy monitor I have in my house. I ported port 80 to the internal address so that should be all anyone can access. The data is password protected, so all people can do is look not erase.

It's for my solar/energy website, www.jjhamilton.com/solar, which is about to be redesigned.

I looked into no-io.com but I think for my purposes, I'm just going to get a static IP and be done with it. :p

Thanks again for your help!